Grafter

Re: BT speed checker U/S for several days

Still not working here, same error message at 09;41 02/03/2011
edgeways.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Same failure again for me. I tried IE and turning off Kaspersky but still no luck. Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6073 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

That looks a lot better than yesterday's test! IT can in a reasonable time as well.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran

Looks like BT may be making some headway then....I live in hope. Undecided
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I thought you lived in Sheffield Undecided Undecided
Strat
Community Veteran

Hope is only 14.5 miles away http://www.derbyshireuk.net/hope.html
Strat
Community Veteran

Latest test:
Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit
Web browser/Version in use: Google Chrome version 9.0.597.107
Antivirus/Security software in use: Kaspersky Internet Security version 11.0.2.556 (a.b.c.d)
Router make/model and whether wired/wireless: Billion Bipac 7800N wired
Java version: version 6 update 24 (both 32 bit and 64 bit versions)
Error message/Description of problem: After clicking GO and confirming my phone number it sits for two minutes and then produces the following error message 'TEST ERROR The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
Time and date the error was encountered: 12:35pm 2nd March 2011
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yeah that's very much like the errors I keep getting (though my wait tends to be more like 3 minutes). The errors are persisting this morning (last test 10.40 a.m.). I did try enabling Game Mode in ZoneAlarm Antivirus (which also uses Kaspersky BTW) but that didn't help. I'm still wondering if my ZA firewall could possibly be related to 'the freeze'....but reluctant to fully disable it to find out.
linux
Grafter

I tried disabling the firewall on my router (should be OK since my PC has no open listening ports) and tried the test again. It still failed. Since I don't use antivirus or any other firewall, my feeling is that this problem is not related to antivirus/firewall software.
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hmmmm. Just to try and sketch in some (totally unrelated?) impression of the 'flavour' of my waiting prior to the BT error message. I password protect my Thomson Gateway (TG585 v7). Now say I was to attempt to access my DSL connection details by clicking on my shortcut in IE8 favourites, I'd be presented with the password box which informs me that "The server 192.168.1.254 at Thomson Gateway requires a username and password". If I do nothing but wait, the status bar in IE8 continues to slowly progress the little green boxes, with the message "waiting for  http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt..." ; (etc)
Closing the password box, without entering my password then takes me to http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=1&l1=0 where I receive the message "HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required."
Note to self: Must stop thinking aloud.
edgeways
Grafter

Quote from: linux
I tried disabling the firewall on my router (should be OK since my PC has no open listening ports) and tried the test again. It still failed. Since I don't use antivirus or any other firewall, my feeling is that this problem is not related to antivirus/firewall software.

Yes linux, I aggree with your conclusion. I have previously tried similar measures with the same negative results.
Strat
Community Veteran

Same here with Kaspersky....tried with it disabled.
linux
Grafter

The one thing I'm tempted to try, but have not yet tried, is to enter a different phone number. I'm reluctant to try this because it might trigger some sort of authorization problem and consequent punishment via a reduced IP profile!
But it might prove conclusively whether or not this is a simple accounting bug.
Why does the BT speed tester need a telephone number or service ID? The world wonders.
Strat
Community Veteran

In order to provide more specific information than a standard speed tester probably although at the moment it's about as much use as the proverbial ashtray on a motor bike to us.
linux
Grafter

Perhaps Plusnet could provide a test phone number or service ID that is known to work.