Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being paranoid

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Am I being paranoid

Hi, I signed up for another 12 months with Plusnet but for the last couple of weeks my download speed has been dismal, I'm on doing a download at the moment for my son, its FireFox and its downloading at 22 kbps, most downloads lately are at this speed yet when I check the speed via plusnet site its always over 6mbps.These are the stats for my router
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 8096 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 7.6 dB 24.0 dB
Line Attenuation 4.0 dB 1.0 dB
Output Power 7.8 dBm 12.6 dBm
I'm asking if this is temp, I had the same with tiscali, the first year good then things went wrong, some do download ok but the speeds on downloads are not my usual.
regards
John
9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Am I being paranoid

Hi John,
I've just tried a download from here and it's coming down between 60-80kB/s (480-640kbps). Looks like it's in the gold traffic queues too so not sure what could be causing your problem. Do you know what your IP Profile is and have you tried a BT speedtest?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

same result as you bob 70-80 started off at 30KB/s abd steadliy rised to 80KB/s. bbyw option 3. pcl-ag03
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Thanks, could you give me directions as to how I log into BT Test, I find I need to log in but keep getting error when entering my log in, I think I'm putting in the wrong details.
regards
john 
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi John,
The username for the BT speedtest will be username@plusdsl.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Further to the post I've just posted, I've just tried the same download and its downloading at 850kbps where as last night it was only between 30 and 50 kbps. Do you think the time of my downloads are affecting them ? I'm on option 2 but that said it seems to be happening more frequently but only over the past few weeks.
regards
john
James
Grafter

Hi John,
I suspect it may have been partly related to your being connected to a "busier" pipe last night, compounded by a pipe drop we experience around dinner time* last night.
If it happens again, I'd definitely recommend rebooting and see if you get better speeds.
*Southern dinner time.  ie: not lunch.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, just done a BT test and these are the results,
est1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6353 kbps
Everything looks OK to me, could the problem be that my router has not been rebooted for some 21 days and previous to that I think it was longer, I have not been on that much due to illness, would you recommend rebooting router every week or so ? Could that be be the problem ?
regards
John
James
Grafter

Hi John,
I'd just say to reboot your router if you feel that your speeds aren't what you would expect.
I hope you're feeling better now.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all the help from all those who took the time to answer my question, I was beginning to think it was going to be Tiscali all over again, I should have known better though, asking for help gets swift replies and no end of helpful people do there best to point me in the right direction.
I'm not in the best of health at all, just get bad days, some worse than others, just got to plod on.
kind regards
John