Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 months and no stable connection

AngryPa
Grafter

Re: 2 months and no stable connection

Hi Adam,
Glad you are back on board with this. I have added a few days worth of speed results on my open question so you can see the sudden drop as of yesterday.
Just to update you as of now:
connection 2464kbps
download 1.8mbps
connected for 16.5 hours
Line attenuation reads 57db with noise margin of 12.1db on the downstream.
Hopefully the last day or so was just a hiccup, but I won't start jumping for joy just yet.
Thanks,
P Smiley
AngryPa
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Not a glitch, last night I couldn't even get to check my emails as the download was so slow. a 23kb email took nearly TEN minutes to download, and every time I tried to open a web page ittook for ever and then would flag up that it was unable to connect.
This morning better though 1.6mbps download, but for how long?
P.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
I know this must be immensely frustrating but I cant' give you a specific timescale as much as I'd love to be able to.
As things stand the speeds will be quite poor as a result of your connection dropping again so we'll need to get to the bottom of that issue first. I don't have much to tell just yet but I will be pushing for a response from BT wholesale today so I'll give you a call later on to keep you abreast of what's happening on that side of things.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
As per my voice mail the good news is that engineers need to replace part of your line to resolve the fault. This is due to happen tomorrow morning. If you look out after 9AM Openreach engineers should be accessing the local telegraphs with a cherry-picker.
Any questions please let me know, otherwise I'll come back to you after 11:00AM tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AngryPa
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the heads up about BT coming tomorrow. Sorry not to take your call I was driving so won't answer if my mobile rings as I don't even like the hands free gizmos.
Can you find out what exactly they will have done before you call me, as tonight I'm getting 1.6mbps download and connection of 2592kbps and it's been a stable connection for nearly 19 hours, I don't want to find that tomorrow it's all cocked up by BT again, like once before.
Many thanks,
P. Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Morning,
Sure, as always I'll be obtaining and digesting full engineer notes before I give you a call Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AngryPa
Grafter

Hi Adam,
All seems fine since bt visit yesterday, except that I'm connected at 2784kbps but my profile is only 1750kbps, so my download speed is only 1.6mbps.
I would like to get back to at least a 2000kbps profile if not a 2500kbps as I had when the problem was first fixed a couple of weeks back. Should I reboot the router? or is there anything you can do at your end?
Luckily I was home when bt came as they needed to access my property, all they said was that they were trying to reset a new pairing and moving me into the exchange????Huh
Anyway hope to hear from you on Monday.
P Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi AngryPa,
I've just checked on the fault and the engineer's notes aren't showing yet - if there's nothing by lunchtime I'll call and chase them for you so we can see what went on from their point of view.
From yours, how is the line performing now? I can see you've had a solid connection for the past couple of days, and have just upped your PN profile to 2000 to match that set on the BT side of things.
AngryPa
Grafter

Hi Adam,
As of now router stats show connection of only 37 minutes, but line connection speed is 2784kbps which I've had for the weekend.
Download speed is 1.7mbps
I have done a speedtest at myspeed at visualware, and that says my download is 1.8 mbps of 2.4mbps.
So can I get a 2meg download or am I stuck at 1.7?
Obviously I would prefer the faster speed, but is that ever going to possible on our ancient exchange?
Many thanks,
P. Cool
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Throughput is normally around 85% of your line profile due to overheads so 1.7Mbps on a 2Mbps profile is entirely normal.
AngryPa
Grafter

But I used to have a profile of 2500kbps, so why is it slower now?
Tonight I lost connection on my router several times but I think it may have been due to my doing a clean install of win7 64bit.
All seems ok now.
P
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

ADSL is designed to connect at the best speed possible, subject to a number of factors including external electrical noise which can vary over time. As such, your connection speed will probably vary.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi AngryPa,
As per my update to your ticket I'm unable to get the exact notes from the 23rd's engineer visit due to some problems on the suppliers side. I'll be in touch as soon as I can tell you more.
Thanks for your patience,
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AngryPa
Grafter

Thanks Adam,
All seems ok, but that's waht I thought last week.
Would prefer to see the profile back to 2500kbps, but suppose I should be grateful for any speed out in the sticks.
P.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Understood,
The 2500kbps line rate should return when the connection has been running for 3 days in a row. Unfortunately your connection hasn't quite hit that yet but I'm hoping that I can tell you more when I've been able to have a chat with BT.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team