cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed halved

firkin
Grafter

Speed halved

I've been constantly getting 3.5 mbps down for ages now and my line profile says it will support 4mbps, I realise that I wont get 4mbps. Recently  I've only been getting half that speed. I tried raising a ticket but can't find a the link to it, well I can but it sends me back to the wrong page.
Has throttling been secretly introduced? 
17 REPLIES 17
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed halved

It looks like your line had some issues recently that have caused the profile to drop, this is why you're seeing lower than normal speeds. The good news is that your connection is back at similar speeds to before this issue, so if you log in to your router and disconnect/reconnect you should see an instant improvement now that the profile has corrected itself.
With the attenuation on your line I'd actually expect that you can see even better speeds. Can you describe how you're router is connected, is it in to the master socket and are any extensions in use filtered?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
firkin
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
With the attenuation on your line I'd actually expect that you can see even better speeds. Can you describe how you're router is connected, is it in to the master socket and are any extensions in use filtered?

Hi and thanks Chris, your advice worked and, my  download speed is now 2.96mbps. My router is not plugged into the master socket  because it would take a lot of money wiring from the master socket to the attic where I have my desk top, my laptop is on wireless in the next room and my iPad is also on wireless. But I'm ok with the speeds I'm getting now so thanks for getting me back up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
You could get higher speeds by plugging the router into the master socket AND avoid the cost of CAT5 cabling though the use of LAN over power adapters such as those provided by Devolo.  Some models also offer a remote wifi AP option thereby allowing you to extend the wifi coverage without the necessity of installing unsightly and expensive cabling.
...so SWMBO is kept happy too.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

No problem, thanks for getting back to me.
If you do decide to try and get a bit more out of your line the advice from Townman is sound and will allow you to connect to the master socket without having wires trailing everywhere.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
firkin
Grafter

Hi Townman
Thanks for that advice, I have been to their website and it does seem the way to go.
Hi Chris
Just rebooted my router and my speeds are now back to normal, 2.86mbps. I'll buy some LAN over power adapters as Townmann recommended.
Chris
Legend

Once you've had chance to move the router to the master socket let us know on here and I'll run a line test.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@firkin reading between the lines your arrangement could be like mine of several years ago. That was when I was on ADSL I'm on cable now.
I have my desktop in the office in the dormer at the top of the house and the phone socket near the front door two floors down. The router modem was on an extension phone socket in the office. This really killed my speeds.  Sad
The solution was to ditch the phone wiring and the bellwires in the 80s setup and put the modem router by the front door. Phones are modern DECT cordless and the connection to the office is by homeplugs. We use WIFI for tablets and smartphones. Result then instant increase from 2Mbps to 6Mbps. Now I'm getting 27Mbps on FTTC with the same internal wiring although I had a new mk 3 FTTC socket fitted.
In fact I still have an extension wired to the office in case I want to use the fax capability of my printer but no t generally used 
Edit\ forgot the sky box and media centre also connected via homeplugs in a three way arrangement
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
firkin
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Once you've had chance to move the router to the master socket let us know on here and I'll run a line test.

Hi Chris
I know It's taken me some time to buy and install the T-P mains connectors but I had a recent speed problem and decided to fit them in the hope that it will help my speeds.
I now have my speeds back to around the 3mbps, You asked me to contact you and that you may be able to get me 4mbps.
Would you give it a try for me please...thanks?

Taken today

Taken before I put in the T-P Link
Chris
Legend

Did you make the changes around 6.30pm yesterday?
There was a burst of disconnections between around 2 and 6.30pm yesterday but the line has been stable since then.

I'm just running a line test on this now.
Chris
Legend

I think we can squeeze a little more out of your line. I'd like to make sure it stays stable first though, so can you give me a nudge tomorrow so I can check again?
The SNR is currently at 9db, but there are frequent errored seconds showing up so I want to make sure we're not going to cause you issues.
firkin
Grafter

Hi Chris
I made the changes on Monday I think.
It would be good if you could squeeze more speed ... Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm just looking into what we can do now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

That should be done in a few hours. I note you're also on 448k upstream, so once this is stable, we'll uncap that for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
firkin
Grafter

Hi Chris
Everything looked like it was sorted but my speeds have dropped once more, is it possible to check out my connection to see if my profile has changed like the last time please?