Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity issues - continued

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: capacity issues - continued

Quote from: AndyH

I think I can now say with confidence that with the common sync there is no discernable difference between the two ISPs on the x6 test and the overall speeds. Similarly with the BTW test.
The only difference is the x1 test when on a bad link, (I think that's a better word to use than gateway, as we know different users on the same gateway can have wildly different experiences). A few AAISP x1 results have been questionable but not violent like the poor Plusnet ones.

I agree with this statement, it depends on the link/gateway I´m on. But as stated, nowhere near as bad.
@chrcoluk  surely if it was an rwin problem it would be the same on whatever gateway I was on no ?
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
This is the only company I have seen publicly claim that revealing details of a fault is commercially sensitive.
Even virgin media will confirm faults, diss out a fault id and give an estimated fix date.
If i told my own customers the fault affecting them is commercially sensitive they would laugh and cancel my contract.
It's certainly a cop out, a way of avoiding giving a truthful answer to their paying customers ,
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry for the delay in responding guys.
Sizeable post on the way.
[EDIT]
First up, we really apologise for not replying to this thread for so long. The short answer to why is that there hasn’t been a lot to say. The longer is a bit more complicated.
We think there’s more than one issue affecting people, some of which we have more details on than others.
The main issue is fairly easy to see and especially impacts customers with the fastest fibre speeds. At peak times single threaded downloads slow down while multi-threaded downloads stay at pretty much full speed. Our efforts have been concentrated on identifying the cause of this problem. Unfortunately so far we’ve not been able to pinpoint the cause of the problem. We’ve gone through every piece of kit on our network with a fine tooth comb, we’ve done thousands of tests and monitored the interfaces and traffic levels, CPU load and memory usage and not found a single thing that would be the cause. We’ve repeated the tests with our various suppliers and they too have failed to find anything amiss that would cause the problem. We’ve tried correlating customers with when they are seeing a slowdown and when they aren’t and no pattern emerges. If it was something simple like a congested interface, a device running beyond its design or something slowing traffic down when it shouldn’t we would have long since found it.
We can replicate the results on our 80Mbps FTTC line here in the office, we’ve also used a 300Mbps line and seen the problem there too. We know the problem is real and it has the focus of our team to resolve.
We’ve managed to eliminate some things that could be the cause and there are many things which are very unlikely to be the cause but nothing we’ve been able to say “it’s definitely this”. In our testing we can see times when we get full speed all of the time, we also see times where it slows down just at peak and we also see times when it slows down gradually over the day. The best way of describing it is to imagine there are multiple routes from you the customer to the Internet. Each route will traverse different pieces of kit and different fibres in both our network and those of our suppliers. Any customer could take one of hundreds, possibly thousands of different routes. It’s very similar to driving, if I’m going from Sheffield to London I can drive down the M1, catch the train, take the A roads or even drive up to Leeds and go across the M62 and down the M6.
One thing we do know is that when you look at the Thinkbroadband latency graphs you don’t notice any change in latency or packet loss. If you see these changes in these the problem is something different.
Back in the thread some people have noted seeing a couple of people switch ISPs and see the problem go away. We’ve spoken to our colleagues over at BTR (BT Retail) to try and see if we can understand why, we know their network is different to our network (only a part of the path between the customer and ISP is common to both) so we think this helps to eliminate certain parts of the route but doesn’t actually pinpoint the cause. Same with someone moving to other ISPs, again part of the route will be common but there will be a point where the routes diverge.
We’re trying to set up some testing which we think will eliminate virtually everything except one particular point, this testing is taking time to setup but we think it will be worth it as it tell us where abouts the problem is.
We know there are other issues too, the last few days some Thinkbroadband graphs have been showing some packet loss at peak (e.g. marmalizer, OshB5  and Strat) we’ve identified the cause of this and should have it fixed soon.
To those people that are posting speedtest and other results we really really appreciate it. This thread is read by many people in the business even if they haven’t replied, they all know that it isn’t a problem isolated to a few people as we’ve demonstrated the problem to them on our office line for them to see.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Thanks for the response Mathew  Wink  hopefully it will  alleviate some peoples worry's for lack of input from PN  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Thanks Matthew,
This post is much appreciated.
I hope someone at plusnet can now find time to give us customers a weekly update, even if there's been no progress we will at least know it's still being taken seriously.
Are customer speed test and ping graphs still useful?
If so please state exactly what information you need.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@AndyH
Quote from: Matthew
Sorry for the delay in responding guys.
Sizeable post on the way.
[EDIT]
First up, we really apologise for not replying to this thread for so long. The short answer to why is that there hasn’t been a lot to say. The longer is a bit more complicated.
We think there’s more than one issue affecting people, some of which we have more details on than others.
<snip>

Now do you believe the issues are real?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matthew for this comprehensive post.
I thought it would be useful to summarise it...
1) PlusNet acknowledge there is a problem.
2) The issues reported have been replicated by PlusNet in their own testing.
3) PlusNet don't yet know the cause.
4) The Peak time packet loss issue (separate to the peak time slowdowns) should be resolved soon.
5) PlusNet are trying to set up some testing which should eliminate everything except one particular point.
Okay, that is the current state of play. I think there are a few key points that Plusnet should be aware of.
We have had several posts from Plusnet previously stating they were looking into this issue and would have more information soon. Soon turned into weeks, turned into months, turned into a lot of customers thinking PlusNet were not serious about addressing this issue.
I urge PlusNet not to let this comprehensive post from Matthew stagnate into something that sits for weeks without further progress updates. I think if that were to happen, it really would make your posts sound like weasel words - all talk and no action. So here is hoping for more regular updates.
"trying to set up some testing which we think will eliminate virtually everything except one particular point" - whilst the word "trying" worries me a little, this seems to be the pivotal test that is required to get to the bottom of this issue. So it would be really nice if you could give an approximate timeline for this testing. For example, how long will it take to set up, how long will it run for etc?
I for one really appreciate that PlusNet are responding to this issue, but it has been ongoing for a long time, and it isn't the first time Plusnet have promised to address this. One question we can all ask, is just how much progress has been made since PlusNet first responded to this issue? And how long has passed since then? It seems a long time has passed, and whilst we all commend PlusNet for responding on the forum, I'm not sure how much progress there has actually been.
So I guess the questions are...
When do you expect to have this test running, and for how long?
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: 11110_110
Quote from: AndyH

I think I can now say with confidence that with the common sync there is no discernable difference between the two ISPs on the x6 test and the overall speeds. Similarly with the BTW test.
The only difference is the x1 test when on a bad link, (I think that's a better word to use than gateway, as we know different users on the same gateway can have wildly different experiences). A few AAISP x1 results have been questionable but not violent like the poor Plusnet ones.

I agree with this statement, it depends on the link/gateway I´m on. But as stated, nowhere near as bad.
@chrcoluk  surely if it was an rwin problem it would be the same on whatever gateway I was on no ?

If hopping fixed it yeah, the post andy linked to didnt show that.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Here is the before and after I moved gateway.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thank you very much for the detailed reply Matthew, even if it does produce more questions than answers. At least we now know that Plusnet are ACTIVELY attempting to resolve the issues.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Thank you very much for that update Matthew. It's very much appreciated. Do you have any thoughts on why (or if) some people suffer from this more than others? I tend to stay on the same gateway month after month so for me it's an occasional minor issue. Other people seem to be forever changing gateways and seem to be plagued by this. Are they just unlucky people with unstable DSL connections or could there be some kind of geographical component to this?
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: 11110_110
Here is the before and after I moved gateway.

Fairly consistent with what I've seen previously.
Out of interest, have you tried running the test say 5 times in a row to see the variation in the results?
djtoastie
Grafter

Will plusnet be fixing the dreadful 2Mbps upload speed or is that not part of capacity issues?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No it's not if you signed up to the 40/2 package. It has nothing to do with the Capacity issues.
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Matthew
One thing we do know is that when you look at the Thinkbroadband latency graphs you don’t notice any change in latency or packet loss. If you see these changes in these the problem is something different.

I have really truly appalling browsing latency today and buffering with streaming as well (which is unusual,) yet TBB latency is perfect and nothing unusual on a speed test either (although it's an 80/20 connection capped at 40Mbps by PlusNet, so that might be why; and the lower-than-expected upstream speed does continue).
I've been too busy to sort out migrating to another ISP before the end of the 30-day price rise notice window, unfortunately, so I'm relying on PlusNet to fix the problem now Matthew.
I sincerely hope things get better...

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.