cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTW performance test (IP profile checker)

deathtrap
Grafter

BTW performance test (IP profile checker)

Just ran this to check my IP profile  and only the speedtest part is working ,here is the error  message it gave
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Any ideas why this is happening apart from BT ineptness
31 REPLIES 31
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BTW performance test (IP profile checker)

HI deathtrap,
Have you tried re-running the test? If you did, did you get the same message?
deathtrap
Grafter

Yes  i had run the test 3 times without success ,(same error message ) before i  started this thread, and i just tried it again now and still giving the same error
grahamt
Rising Star

I've seen this a few times. Generally - if it didn't work first time -  it's worked for me on the second or third go. You might just be unlucky and/or have hit them at a particularly busy time.
deathtrap
Grafter

Well iv'e never had issues with it like this before today , and even now : 6:41pm i'm still seeing the same  error, I somehow think it's broken  not busy
deathtrap
Grafter

This issue is still present, and now to add to it it appears DLM and borked my connection,. so can someone please sort this out by cycling the  GEA dlm profile  from whatever it is set to to if not already set to the BT openreach SPEED option temporary set to one of the others and back to the Openreach SPEED DLM profile,
If not i'll be gone
AndyH
Grafter

The PT not showing your IP Profile is a known issue. There's a thread about it here somewhere. From what Chris Pettitt said, I think there's an overhaul due in about a months time to fix various issues with the BTw Speed Tester site.
There's no need to issue ultimatums to Plusnet.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

There's work due to be carried out on May 14/15th which is likely to fix said issues.
We've no control over the BT Speedtester. Ideally, we want it working properly.
deathtrap
Grafter

I have reported a fault as no ip profile being provided and i'm sure it has something to do with  today's dlm intervention  there is also another issue, as well as my request for the dlm profile to be reset via the 3 options that are available to all isp's not only at time of order, and these changes are not chargeable by BT , zen has openly offered this to its customers, should they not be happy with the profile at any point, changing this will  most probably reset the dlm
my other issue with  single thread downloads  throughput keeps pausing  this has started today since dlm borked my connection
AndyH
Grafter

I don't think reporting it as a fault will achieve much. The PT issues have been going on for months and as Chris said, the scheduled work is due to fix the issues.
deathtrap
Grafter

But another customer was told to report as a fault  to have their DLM reset  So i did the same , And to also make sure it is set to BTW stable =Openreach speed  dlm profile, as well as the throughput issue that has started as a result of dlm's mismanagement
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet cannot reset DLM for FTTC.
There is speculation requesting a DLM profile setting change might cause DLM to reset, but this is speculation at the moment (I don't think anyone knows).
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can tell you exactly where we're at with that since I went to a meeting with Openreach yesterday.
We've been asked what tools we'd like to have so that we have some control over FTTC Lines. There's a lot more to the current DLM system than meets the eye - I'll create some documentation on it at some point Smiley
I'm not going to disclose what control we've requested as nothing is confirmed and it's in the very early stages. One thing to remember though, is that a DLM reset isn't something an engineer can just 'do', they have to firmly believe that the line is pretty much perfect. If Interleaving has been put on your line for whatever reason, there's generally a good reason for it to be on.
What we are keen to push for, are a few new  'Policies', for example:
BTW stable =Openreach speed - We want this to be an option that is; No Interleaving, ever. Just run as fast as you can.
The above is just an example that's being considered as there are a lot of other ISP's that want different things so it has to work for everybody. We were looking at the possibility of having 5 or so Policies, perhaps having:
Speed (As above - DLM doesn't put Interleaving on automatically)
Standard (Interleaving on - Low and DLM can increase this if needed
Stable (Interleaving on High - for those who may suffer from a high amount of errors on their line due to Third Party)
TV (For Providers who supply TV Services - The DLM parameters can be amended to be a little more strict)
The above are just the basics, but nothing is set in stone yet. We fully appreciate that gamers don't want interleaving as 'Low' adds 8ms ping and 'High' adds 16ms ping and our suppliers recognise this. So, please don't think that nothing is being done because it is, just, these things do take time planning, developing and bringing to fruition.
AndyH
Grafter

Chirs - Thanks, that's interesting.
Would Plusnet want end users to be free to chose their DLM profile themselves (an automated system from the Member Centre)? I think this is certainly something that would be popular amongst a lot of forum members here and it would save a lot of staff time in ticket requests.
I assume this is do-able if it is something Sky will be implementing.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can't really speak with regards to Sky, but they were at the meeting yesterday in numbers.
It's a tricky one, I doubt it'd be something that we make available via the Member Centre, only because of the costs involved of switching between the policies. Ideally, we need to be having conversations with customers to see what they are going to be using the connection for and putting them on the right policy from the get-go but it's early days yet - and no business decision can be made or considered until our suppliers make the changes they may be making.
It those changes are made, it definitely opens the door for us to be a little more specific about the types of connection we can pick for Gamers for example. What we need to be careful of, is, if there's a line that's erroring and they are on the 'Gaming' profile, and the errors are being generated by a Third Party, the End User needs to accept that as Interleaving may/will be applied on the other policies.