Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub Two with Cloudflare DNS

FIXED
mrspock
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub Two with Cloudflare DNS

Is there any way to set DNS as Cloudflare's 1.1.1.3 in the router settings?

I know I can do it per device (ie mobile, laptop etc), but I would like it to be done by the router if possible. Currently there are 2 DNS in the router settings, without the posibility to edit that page and change them:

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Plusnet Hub Two with Cloudflare DNS

@mrspock 

Log in to the hub and navigate to the Advanced settings. On the DNS setting select the Auto tab to turn it off and a drop down list will appear into you can add your preferred DNS resolver IP addresses.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

As below.

Note that this will cause the Cloudflare DNS server to be dished out as part of the DHCP lease, so it's worth rebooting the router once you've saved the changes. Some devices may also cling on to the hub's IP as their DNS address until their DHCP lease renews.

The DNS addresses shown under the Broadband section of the router GUI will continue to display the 212 addresses. This is expected.

h2_custom_dns.png

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

It may be worth checking the speed of Cloudflare's resolvers, DNS Benchmark is a good tool for that.
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

At my previous ISP Cloudflare was by far the fastest dns, but here on Plusnet it is a long way down the list. Guess it's something to do with PN's routing to Cloudflare

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mrspock
Dabbler

Awesome. I wouldn't have found it without a screenshot.

Thanks a lot

mrspock
Dabbler

OK, the job is half done and I've set 1.1.1.3 / 1.0.0.3 as DNS in the router's settings. But the main idea was to to block malware and adult sites from loading in the browser. While ping does not resolve when using the command prompt with most xxx sites, these are still loading just fine in the browser. 

Apparently, in the Chrome settings (chrome://settings/security) there is an option to enable/disable secure DNS. If this is disabled, then router's 1.1.1.3 DNS does its job and block adult sites. But if it is enabled, and something else chosen (like Google's public DNS), then everything loads fine and therefore setting 1.1.1.3 in the router DNS is useless.

chr.png

Thanks again for the help, it seems I'll have to find another way to block the adult sites. And I'm out of ideas.

Tags (3)
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Have you looked at openDNS ? There’s a lot of configurable options……..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

@Champnet i think @mrspock is referring to the fact that Chrome will override any system supplied DNS if Secure DNS is enabled. So using OpenDNS will make no difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

There is a register entry that will disable secure dns.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

but the setting is in the Chrome browser itself, AIUI it will override any registry setting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW  Surprised by your reply as most of Microsoft options and settings are kept in the registry.

I've tried the reg fix and it does disable the secure secure on/off switch.

Now to re-enable it...................

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If you click on the down arrow in the box "Google (Public DNS)" you'll see a option "Custom", click on custom and another box appears where you can enter the Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.3