cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing Email account

Boz
Rising Star

Securing Email account

I've discovered that hackers have gained access to my Yahoo email account in the past few days.  I've been using this email address for many years, and only recently have I reduced the use of this account.  Unfortunately, all my old contacts are still in my address book, and they have been subjected to the hackers deviousness - telling friends that I am seriously ill!!

Anyway, my question is "how do I secure my Plusnet email account from this sort of attack?"

Boz

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Securing Email account

Change the mailbox password(s) to something you’ve not used before and is not a (coded) dictionary word.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Do you mean a Yahoo email account or a Plusnet one?

In both cases I would have similar suggestions.

1) Don't use email via a browser (webmail), use a dedicated email client and IMAP access.

2) Enable 2 factor authentication if the account allows ( https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN5013.html )

I might also consider moving to a Microsoft (Outlook.com) or Google (GMail) address as Yahoo email doesn't seem as good as it was.

I am the satisfied customer....
Boz
Rising Star

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply.

It was my Yahoo Email account that was hacked.  Yahoo have now recovered it for me with so-called "extra" protection, but I feel loathed to use it.  I don't have the facility for second-level protection.

I was told that the hackers use computers that run 24/7 looking for passwords, once they have your email address.  Funnily enough, when the hackers got into my account, they set up recovery addresses using both Outlook and Gmail!!

I suppose the answer is to use a password that the hackers will never find, i.e. one with enough symbols to make it impossible.  My question is really: "Do I need to do the same to my Plusnet account, or does Plusnet provide me with a hidden barrier through online access?

Boz

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

There’s nothing special about the access to a Plusnet mail box - it’s like any other - username plus a password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Boz
Rising Star

@Townman Thanks for your comment.

There's one thing I've learnt from this saga - a strong password saves an awful lot of grief!!

Boz

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 409

@Boz  I'd suggest using a password manager, then you can have long random passwords and they can be different for each online login/email