Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with notification count

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Error with notification count

I know it's not my problem, @Mook , I was just empathising with you. 😉 I still see those dots when loading any page, sometimes they last longer than others.

Maybe associated, but maybe not - when I post replies, I sometimes get accused of 'post flooding' even though I only hit the submit button once.

Methinks Khorus are playing silly sausages.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Mook wrote:

You don't need to apologise, it's hardly your fault, but I have to admit I don't see the 'dots' you are referring to up by my avatar, but I do get this:

dots.png

on my notification feed page.

Do you also see "sending response" or "waiting for..." messages at the bottom of the browser window?  Sometimes paint dire quicker than pages render around here ... this heap is so full of bloatware!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Don't think so, @Townman - I'll send this, check and amend with a 'Yes' or 'No'

No - but it takes 4 or 5  seconds on 'community.plus.net' in the bottom L/H.

John
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

No, nothing @Townman I suspect it's meant to be hidden, as you can see it's cut off at the bottom as is.

Bloatware you say, that might explain why it takes so long to fix as they need to organise a bariatric care team.

jab1
Legend

@jab1 wrote:

What ever was wrong seems to have been corrected. I have just opened the forums on both the laptops and the iPad, with no spurious notification count and no spinning dots - two problems resolved in one.

I'll still monitor it though.

Yesterday was a fluke - the '101' count is back.

John
Mook
Seasoned Champion

Is anything being done about this? It really is tedious.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hey Mook, I had to take a little longer off than I had planned so I've not looked at this at all until yesterday, at that time our vendor announced that the issue had been fixed... But they were mistaken, further investigatory work is taking place now.

Sorry for the incinvenience

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Mook
Seasoned Champion

@JonoH - Just in case there is a need for evidence.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 08.01.35.png

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

FWIW, I haven't seen it on either PC (Firefox) for a couple of weeks at least, but got it yesterday for the first time on my Android mobile (Firefox).

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

I stil get it every morning - on both machines, if I happen to fire the W7 box up.

John
jab1
Legend

@JonoH Not rushing you - or Khorus, but seriously, isn't it time this was fixed? It is obviously some 'improvement' Khorus have carried out which has gone pear-shaped, so my old 'program implementation' training says it should have been a relatively simple thing to reverse - IF they carry out proper change-control procedures, which this lengthy saga suggests to me they don't.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The problem will be working out which one of many changes is responsible for what we see. It would not be appropriate to regress every change. Indeed it might not be possible at all.

I suspect it’s complications client side. I’ve seen two concurrent clients with and without the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Understood, @Townman , but surely they can go back to changes they carried out around the time this issue was raised - after all, they can't have made that many - can they?

It certainly affect Firefox - my default browser on all my machines, phone and tablet, which means three varieties of that browser - the default one, the Canonical version, and the iOS one.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I see it on Edge and Safari. I will also look at checking it out on Silk.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, like if the Feedback bug will ever get fixed? The spell checker reinstated too?

Anyway when I did change control processes, we would document (not every line of code) but put it into Feature Lines which would then get merged into test realeases once if it actually had some testing (that seems to be lacking here). If it went bad, then the bad change could be rolled back whilst we worked out why.

It would be a problem if there were lots of changes in the same area and working out which was which. A bit of documentation and comments would help, and splitting the code up into different modules which people would have responsibily on.