cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just left plusnet business, now I'm told I have lost my domain name, Help !

grahamaked

Just left plusnet business, now I'm told I have lost my domain name, Help !

Hello all,

First a disclaimer: I'm in way over my head here.

I've just had to change ISP because of the plusnet business service closing down, so I contacted plusnet 2 weeks before my service switched over (opened a ticket etc) and after several calls I thought I had things sorted, I was told that my domain would transfer over to google workspace 'no problems'

Switchover day came, no website, no emails, nothing, so I phoned plusnet again and the ticket was reopened (2 weeks ago) and I was told someone would call me back, they didn't, so I phoned again today to be told my domain/email address had been destroyed upon account closure, gone, nothing they could do.

I've been in touch with google support, nothing they can do from their end.

Have I really lost my domain of 20+ years? Is there no way for me to recover it ?

Regards,

Graham.

8 REPLIES 8
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Just left plusnet business, now I'm told I have lost my domain name, Help !

You can try going directly to the registrar for the type of domain you have.

So, for a .co.uk its nominet - nominet.org.uk

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

so I phoned again today to be told my domain/email address had been destroyed upon account closure, gone, nothing they could do.

Your email and website hosting will have been destroyed but I would have thought that domain registration should still be intact.

Plusnet ought to still be able to transfer your domain, you just need a staff member who understands domains ( and that's probably not the normal support staff!)

What does a whois lookup show for the current domain registrar and status ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Yeah we're going to need to see the who.is, also, I will pm you for your username Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamaked

I have tried nominet login, but I'm guessing it was registered with the email address I no longer have access to (I inherited it from a previous employee) so I can't even reset the password, if there ever was one.

I've just done a search for the domain status:image.png

Looks like it's still live and controlled by plusnet to me, should there be a specific department I should be calling?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Looks like it's still live and controlled by plusnet to me, should there be a specific department I should be calling?

It is, and its still hosted by PN. I'm sure@willcutforth should be able to sort out the transfer for you, no point in calling customer services , they wont be able to help, and you can't contact the dept directly. The only problem will be that he'd normally use a 'ticket' to request and confirm information, but that won't be possible due to the account being closed.

Doing it via PM here on the forum should be possible though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

knowdice
Rising Star

You can fill in a form on the Nominet site to gain control of the domain, I did that recently costs about £10+VAT though but could be worth it.

Their website is a bit [lot] of a nightmare this could get you started...

https://theukdomain.uk/help-centre/what-do-i-do-if-ive-lost-access-to-my-email-account/ 

Have you got an alternate email that they can contact you with?

grahamaked

Thanks guys,

I think Will is on it now, fingers crossed it will get sorted.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Graham.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Equestrian Memes on X: "When I tell my horse he did well during a lesson,  he's like #eqmemes http://t.co/MHxVF6QGdv" / X

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team