Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Leaving be aware!

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

Re: FTTP Leaving be aware!

Hi, @smithyoaks  I can see that you called and put through a cancellation with ourselves, this is the date you confirmed that you received via email which went to the junk folder. After this, we received an email regarding the take over with Sky.

Because we was not notified to cancel the first request which was made by yourself, this means the cancellation went through on the original date. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
smithyoaks
Dabbler

The original date was the 26th as confirmed in a letter from plusnet.
teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

'The customer is never right' is the new (erm not so new ) mantra.

If I don't get my promised response, I will be going, soon.

For years the advise has been to inform the new provider and they will sort everything, but if going to one outside 'the system' you need to book with them first and then inform the one you are leaving that you require a cease and fix the date.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

The moral of this story is NEVER tell your existing provider that you are moving away.  Just leave it to the Gaining Provider Led industry process which is designed to ensure that this does happen.

Whatever the date, that is completely academic here.  Telling the existing supplier anything is likely to cause tears - especially if the provision of the new service slips due to failure on the party of the new ISP or BT Openreach.  Leaving everything to the gaining provider ensures that the cease of the old service is linked to the successful migration to the new provider.

Telling your existing supplier to cancel service (whenever) will in some circumstances prevent the new supplier placing orders for the new service - leaving to a further 5 to 10 day delay AFTER the service has been terminated.  Granted, that ought not to apply here as the new service is a new (FTTP) line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithyoaks
Dabbler

That moral might apply in some circumstances, but not in this case.
All would have gone perfectly smoothly if Plusnets internal communications had been up to scratch. But unfortunately it wasn't and whatever ever department does what, weren't informed of a revised date.
Hence my account was terminated prematurely.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

You miss the point - telling the losing supplier (in this case Plusnet) nothing avoids the possibility that - for a whole variety of reasons - there will be a gap between one party ceasing the service and another starting the service.

If Plusnet had terminated the service on the date you suggest you requested .. and the new provider / BT Openreach needs to slip the date for commencing the new service ... you'd be in the same pickle.

The lesson to be learnt here is LEAVE EVERYTHING to the new supplier - certainly until the new service is live.

Regrettably I'm leaving PlusNet's business service provision ... and I am telling them zilch about those arrangements ... that way the FTTC and voice service should not be terminated until after the FTTP service goes live.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithyoaks
Dabbler

I quite agree about telling your leaving organisation nothing this is standard practice. Although with constant hints from Martin Lewis about haggle handle haggle or threaten to leave this might not always happen.
If I want to move my ISA's around during the year. The new company do all the arrangements without me notifying the old.
As far as my leaving dates were concerned these were all generated by plusnet and Open Reach.
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Unfortunately there may be exceptions which break things. IMO.

After two failed migrations (where BT was the gaining provider) it took a cancellation of the current service and a couple of days downtime. The failed migrations spanned a timescale of a couple of months; each migration had two attempts before the migration order was closed/cancelled. For whatever reason (shrug), never disclosed or menioned

This is migrating a service between two 'arms of the BT group. My opinion is that current processes and procedures are not correctly designed to cover eventualities.

Obviously a third attempt at the "Gaining Provider Led industry process" could have been attempted. But after previous experiences?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

I guess that this comes down to priorities when moving from copper to fibre..

1. Is the priority to minimise the cost and hope for a seamless transfer of service. In doing so accept the risk that if things are delayed/go wrong there will be a break in service for an indeterminate time. Or,

2. The priority is to minimise the risk of there being a break in service and accept there may be additional costs due to paying for two services during a cancellation period.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

smithyoaks
Dabbler

I can empathise with that line of thought that is the way of such things.

My beef was. Plusnet gave me a specific date and time, Sky gave me the same specific date time. 

I think it reasonable expect events to play out as notified.

Plusnet didn’t adhere to their instructions.

But that’s in the past. I now have Sky FTTP 400Mb broadband and telephone services. Goodbye landline. And it’s costing me less than my old FTTC and land line rental.