cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Leaving be aware!

smithyoaks
Dabbler

FTTP Leaving be aware!

At long last I can get FTTP. I've been with PlusNet for 18 years.
Sadly Plusnet doesn't support voip and I need it. So I ended up with a good FTTP 500Mb deal with Sky inc phone which was cheaper than my FTTC. So Sky is installing on the 26th March.
Today March 23rd at 2:00am this morning my Internet stopped. My house is run on Smart gear plus a server supplying weather data around the world, Smart plugs everywhere, cloud run cctv around the property and my TV streaming services are caput. I spent an hour trying to sort. Then I rang Plusnet "Oh yes you are moving to Sky so we have disconnected you"
I had a letter acknowledging the day I was moving to Sky so assumed logically they'd sort it out on the changeover day. Checked my Spam and found an email saying they would disconnect on the 23rd March.
Why would they leave me 3 days without Internet. The year is 2024 not 1924 how can they be so stupid or are they being invictive, as to not take into account that homes are full of IT and Smart Technology. Everyone uses streaming services etc.
Plusnet used to be top notch wouldn't be surprised if they went the way of their mobile service.
39 REPLIES 39
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: FTTP Leaving be aware!

Something doesn't sound right there. It would be useful if a Help Team staffer picked this up, but I doubt that will happen today.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@smithyoaks 

Did you inform Plusnet that you were leaving them, or did you leave everything to Sky to sort out?

smithyoaks
Dabbler

Yes, Plusnet were informed. They offered various options for me to stay. But they couldn't provide voip so no go.
Mark63
Rising Star

Sound to me as if Sky didn't think/realise it was a migration, but rather a 'new' install.

In a migration situation, the gaining ISP has to wait at least 14 (real) days before they provide a service, and the process triggers a letter from the losing ISP that says 'Sorry you're going etc'

This is to prevent 'slamming', or any simple errors such as the wrong address being selected for the migration.

I suspect you never received such a letter from Plusnet ?i

It's better NOT to tell the losing ISP anything, then (and in this case) you would have ended up with Plusnet service provided right up to changeover day (if Sky had got things 'right') or overlapping services (if they'd cocked up)

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@smithyoaks 

"Yes, Plusnet were informed."

I'm not sure that was the correct procedure. Normally you should only inform the gaining ISP.

There are effectively 3 network suppliers for FTTP: Openreach, Virgin Media and "Alternative Networks".

I thought that you only told your existing ISP you were leaving them if you are moving between network suppliers?

smithyoaks
Dabbler

The gaining ISP (Sky) were informed. I spoke to Plusnet afterwards.
I think most people talk to their existing ISP's first if they are thinking of leaving, in case they get a better deal.
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@smithyoaks

Did you just ask Plusnet for a quote, or did you actually tell them that you were leaving them?

There may be a critical difference.

smithyoaks
Dabbler

A brief extract from a letter dated 12th March from plusnet.

Another service provider has told us you want to move your broadband and phone away from plusnet.
Your broadband and phone services are scheduled to transfer automatically on 26th March 2024.
As you can see 26th March not the 23rd March.
Mark63
Rising Star

That would seem to be spot on, March 12th plus 14 days is March 26th.

Looks as if Plusnet cocked up going by that, but I do reiterate you shouldn't contact Plusnet, it's a matter between them and (in this case) Sky to decide upon and if required adjust the migration date
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Mark63 wrote:
Looks as if Plusnet cocked up

Or was this the day when Openreach had engineer availability to disconnect the FTTC service, information that they passed to Plusnet and was forwarded on to the OP? It's unfortunate that it ended up in their spam filter.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

smithyoaks
Dabbler

Between plusnet and sky? Even if that means cutting a customer off from the Internet!
I don't think so, and I think the majority of end users would go through exactly the same procedures as I have.

Mark63
Rising Star

What folk intuitively might do, and what they should do are sometimes not the same thing !

As I say, the migration process (where Openreach is the infrastructure provider on both sides) is based upon the gaining ISP running the show. It's better to sit back, and let the process do its thing, without any poking and prompting of any party (particularly the losing one)

The 23rd March was yesterday, a Saturday. I'm not aware migrations routinely occur at the weekend or on Bank Holidays, so it seems that Plusnet are the guilty party in this case 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Mark63 Agree with your comment above, and as this was not even a like-for-like transfer, there was no need to cease the FTTC connection - that would happen in any case once the FF connection was live?

John