cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my broadband speed not getting the advertised speed due to still showing with BT

justins

Problems with my broadband speed not getting the advertised speed due to still showing with BT

Apparently my services were moved to PlusNet on the 12th April and I moved my voice line, or so I thought to Vonage on the same date.

BT come back and tell me that the port did not go through due to broadband disconnection. I have to wait until 23rd April for them to request the number!!!

Anyway, besides this I appear to only be getting the old speed that I was on with BT.  It appears I am not getting the new speed of 500mbits I ordered.  To add the static IP I have been given is buffering with Youtube suggesting Youtube may have throttled or black listed it.

How can I get the correct speeds on my account. I called up and was not getting very far with the guide on this, who could not understand that I was getting 500mb on BT no problem when I had that speed level with them. I downgraded BT and was on 90mbits, now its moved to plus net it still shows the old speed of 90mbits

Can anyone on here at plus net please check this for me. And If I am on the wrong package, please contact OpenReach and inform them I am with plusnet now on the 500mbit connection package and to upgrade the fibre line to reflect that.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Problems with my broadband speed not getting the advertised speed due to still showing with BT

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Tech Help to Full Fibre

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Problems with my broadband speed not getting the advertised speed due to still showing with BT

@justins 

I would be concerned about your landline number if it hasn't moved by now.

It is for Vonage to get the number and if the last port failed they should have tried again (I suspect they requested the number before your move from BT completed).

If Vonage haven't succeeded by now you may want to want a different VoIP supplier (Andrews & Arnold are highly regarded for sorting out this kind of problem).

I am the satisfied customer....
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@markhawkin 

It is more likely that the automated port which works whilst the line is active failed on finding the number is in fact in its 30 day quarantine.  Not all VoIP providers are as good as A&A on understanding that in some cases the port MUST be processed manually.

If this is a move from FTTP + Digital voice with BY to FTTP with Plusnet and VoIP with someone else, the state the Plusnet FTTP service should not be influenced by the state of the transfer of the voice service.  This is not the same as broadband and phone number linkage with FTTC & ADSL services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

justins

My port is due today.

It is apparently STILL going though though

Very odd that it's not completed at this time with Vonage.

They tell me that it's in hand.

justins

Looks like number has gone across.

Calls out show the new CLI

Calls incoming OK

Only issue now is my EE Mobile still connects to the BT Voicemail when calling the landline. But other devices are getting through ok - just seems to be my mobile phone which is on EE still going to that voicemail service. Very Odd

Told it should be rectified by midnight tonight and calls on the EE mobile will go through to the landline. Guess time will tell.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

That suggests an incomplete port out.

Porting is not just a matter of moving a number from one CP to another, but also the changing of routing INTERNALLY by the losing CP.

We have seen similar with Sky and Now on several occasions - they port out a number and the world and their dog can call that number and connect to the new provider so long as the caller is NOT a SKY or NOW user.  Sky's systems still treat the number as being within their 'home' network and thus fail to route the call.

Seems that your service is between a rock and a hard place - the BT Voice mail service still exists as a valid destination and the EE network is routing the calls to that number internally.

Keep a beady eye on this one, less it drags out!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.