Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple OSX 10.9 Mavericks now available..... and it's a FREE Upgrade

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Apple OSX 10.9 Mavericks now available..... and it's a FREE Upgrade

I think, at least it used to be but not checked recent systems, that you should be able to install the iLife apps from your install disc(s) that came with your machine. A custom install option it will be available under, if it is still there with the new systems.
That's RPM to you!!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I bought it December last year so no discs came with the Mac Mini.
I'm on chat to an Apple representative, but nothing resolved YET....
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

If you upgrade your iLife on your MB using the AppStore they should be available on your mini too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new iWork applications—Pages, Numbers, and Keynote—were released for Mac on October 22nd.
These applications were rewritten from the ground up to be fully 64-bit and to support a unified file format between OS X and iOS 7 versions, as well as iWork for iCloud beta.

In rewriting these applications, some features from iWork ’09 were not available for the initial release.
Apple plan to reintroduce some of these features in the next few releases and will continue to add brand new features on an ongoing basis.

An update to address some problems with Apple Mail updated in 10.9, is also to be released shortly.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@PluscomUK
Do you work for Apple?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

No, he does a mean copy and paste though..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For all you Apple fans who have upgraded it appears that synchronising your contacts between devices can now only be done via iCloud - gives the Yanks an even easier way of getting all the information http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/07/apple_mandates_icloud_contact_syncing/
Apple has removed from Mac OS X Mavericks the ability to directly sync an iPhone's contact list with its owner's computer – forcing the user to instead upload their address book to Cupertino's cloud and download it to the local computer.
Anyone who updates to the latest release of Apple's desktop operating system, version 10.9, can only synchronize personal contacts and calendar information via Apple's off-site iCloud, because the feature to do the job via iTunes (specifically version 11) no longer exists.
The change – confirmed by El Reg – comes with no forewarning to those about to upgrade, which will annoy privacy-conscious fanbois already spooked by revelations about the NSA and GCHQ's surveillance of anyone using an electronic device.
"Apple seems to now want to force its clients, who tend to be high end, to export their contact information to a nation that is at best shoddy at keeping secrets and that is already spying on everyone," said a Reg reader who tipped us off about the OS X change.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mavericks 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 seeded  for development, to be released soon.
Quote from: PlusComUK

An update to address some problems with Apple Mail updated in 10.9, is also to be released shortly.

In fact, the Apple Mail update was released late on the 7th November.
Installed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem posting to Forums when Attachments included with Firefox v25  and Mavericks 10.9 ....... Solved
Been having problems posting, or adding images later to posts, eventually sorted by enabling Firefox to Clear Cache when closing.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Everything I look for is done on Safari for me.
Forums have never been a problem for me in past by using Safari but have by using chrome
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only had this problem since the upgrade to Mavericks, I've reported it to Apple and Mozilla via their Feedback webpages.
As well as crash reports after Force Quits.
Now I only get the Freeze 50% of the time with Firefox after Cache clearing.!!
But yes, my backup browsers for posting images here is now Safari, followed by Chrome.
I just prefer the way I have Firefox set-up, especially with the extensions and add ons , I have restarted with extensions and add ons disabled in Safe Mode, still 50% freezes, was 95% before Cache clearing.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mavericks OSX 10.9.1 update now available.
Software Update the best way to update.
Details..
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6065
It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.
Includes Safari 7.0.1
Restart required.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

If i update the O/S will it overwrite stuff ?  I have never used a mac so please forgive my ignorance regaurding an operating system update.
Also is it worth updating from 10.6.8 on a macbook pro 15"unibody 2.53 Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 to 10.9.1 ?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

No it shouldn't do.
But do back it up for just in cases
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

cheers, all seems well. as for backups! we don't have that much critical stuff so we just took a risk.