cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not off to a good start

page80
Dabbler

Not off to a good start

After my previous experience of Plus Net prices and service some years ago, I was happy to sign up to Plus Net again and move my fibre broadband from BT.
I signed up at the end of 2012, and I've still not been migrated.  The range of issues spans the gamut from trivial to ridiculous, but something's clearly not been going right.  I'm really disappointed to say the least by the lack of communication and that it's taken so long that I've had to pay BT more money for their service.  Here's what's happened so far:

• 30 Dec - Order placed, eventually.  I don't need or want the Plus Net router, but placing the order online wasn't possible without ordering the router.  When the option is deselected, the form fails to submit.  Nevertheless, the first payment was taken from my card today.

• 8 Jan - No communication to update me about my order.  I called - apparently you were waiting on my bank to authorise the Direct Debit, but it had now happened and the order could progress.  I got the router cancelled from the order (although the charge was not refunded).

• Mid Jan - After receiving no communication (no text or email) I called to enquire about the order.  Apparently it was cancelled, but it didn't show that on my order status online.  A new order was placed, and I was told I would get my first month of broadband free by way of an apology.

• 31 Jan - Still no communication or update on my order, but checking online, apparently it was to be activated that day.  No internet activation by 14:00, so I called.  No - it was a mistake.  It wasn't being activated that day.  Not only that - I didn't appear to have an order.  Again.  It was cancelled.  AGAIN.  A third order was placed manually on the phone, and was submitted with BT for expedited supply.  This apparently costs £120, which I wouldn't pay, but would get the installation done faster.

• 1 Feb - The order can't go through because this fiasco has taken so long that my MAC from BT has expired.  I call BT and supply Plus Net with a new MAC.  Have to phone to confirm it's all ok, the MAC is accepted and get the router cancelled from the order - AGAIN.  And issue a refund for the router P&P this time.

• 7 Feb - I get a response to say that the migration order has been submitted to BT and expedited.  Apparently.  What's the normal, "non-expedited" service for migration?  Two weeks?  I don't have an installation date at this point.

• 8 Feb - I send a support ticket to say thank you for sorting it out and to let me know when I'll get a date, as it's taken almost six weeks already.  I get a date.  Maybe in the next few days?  Expedited must mean fast, right? - 21 Feb.  WHAT!?

• 12 Feb - After querying why the expedited date is so far away, and can it be moved forward, apparently it can't.  That's the date.  That's what someone's paid for - two cancelled orders and another two week wait.

Seriously?  While I'm grateful for not being charged £120 to sort out a problem that occurred twice but should never have happened at all - if Plus Net are paying to have this service expedited by BT, someone's getting ripped off, because this isn't on.
From the third order, it still takes another three weeks to get an installation date?  I'll have lost my Quidco cashback, since the order ended up being placed manually, I've had to wait 7 weeks since ordering the service to receive it, and I've had to pay BT for two more months of their expensive, bad service.  I'm not confident I'll get my free first month either.
...Seriously?
We're not off to a good start, Plus Net.  Embarrassed  This has been one fiasco after another.  I shouldn't really need to summarise all the problems after all that, but from a broken website, to mistakes, no or bad communication and the amount of time it's taken to get a result - words are beginning to fail me.
43 REPLIES 43
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Not off to a good start

Welcome to the forum page80.
I would say incredible but sadly it's not a unique story by any means. BT have a lot to answer for....if only.
I really hope you eventually get sorted.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm really sorry to hear about these issues,
I'm going to go over the history of this with a fine tooth comb to see where we could have done better as it very much sounds like we could have.
With regards to fibre installations whether they're a migration or otherwise they can take a number of weeks (i.e usually more than 2) however I must apologise if we've even given the impression that a migration can be expedited as they cannot I'm afraid, hence the new lead time that's been offered.
As we're unable to bring the date forward I'm going to apply a good will gesture in the meantime, please see ticket 65920342 on your account for details: http://contactus.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
page80
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Adam.  Hopefully the installation all goes ok this Thursday.
I was told by [removed] on the phone that the installation would be expedited with BT, at a cost of £120 to Plus.net.  It sounds like BT Openreach have a lot to answer for.
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat): CSA name removed to a hidden board as per the forum rules.]
page80
Dabbler

Yeah... no.  The installation didn't happen.  For the third time, the supplier cancelled the order, with no reason given.
Please sort this out!  Now I'll have to pay for another month of more expensive broadband with my old ISP, and since orders can't be expedited, I'll have to wait at least another three weeks to get switched over.
So to update the original series of events:

• 21 Feb - Expecting switch over today.  Called Plus Net about 14:00 to find out if it was happening, as I hadn't been knocked offline.  No - the order was cancelled by the supplier.  Yet again.  No reason provided.  I was told someone would call the supplier to find out why the order was cancelled and get back to me.  Received a support ticket about 17:00 to say it was being investigated with the supplier.

What now!?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

How frustrating and annoying as you've already said Openreach (& BT wholesale) have a lot to answer for, and maybe your current provider BT Retail!
I'm sure Adam or another member of the DCT will pick this up on Monday and I hope they will thoroughly investigate why this has been cancelled yet another time. You maybe able to get some compensation from BT Retail if any of this is their fault, but as far as any upfront charges go (eg. the £120 you mentioned) there is no way you will be or should be expected to pay any such charge. Any fees will be based on the Ts&Cs of the package that you initially signed up for. I'm sure any gestures of goodwill as per the ticket Adam mentioned will be resolved in due course.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Page80, really sorry about this - I've asked our provisioning team to chase it up for you, we should have an update soon.
page80
Dabbler

Thanks Matt.

• 25 Feb - Had a phone call and updated support ticket today from plusnet to say a new order has been placed for next Friday 8th March.  The suppliers said there was required information missing from the previous orders which prevented them from going ahead.  When asked what the required information was so that plusnet could ensure it wouldn't affect future orders, they said they didn't know - but apparently the issue has been resolved and future orders won't get cancelled.  As if by magic, without knowing what the issue is - it's resolved.  We'll see next Friday, eh?  To be fair to plusnet, the update and phone call were comprehensive.  The ball's in the supplier's court now.  Fourth time lucky, but plusnet said they would monitor this installation.  Shocked

keith4x4
Grafter

WOW page80... I bet you’re really glad they are monitoring it. (Don’t hold your breath)
What is most amazing is that they all ultimately work for the same paymasters.
Considering the companies involved are in the communication business its pretty poor that you have to resort to a forum to get anywhere.
Motto for Minusnet
“We won’t do you proud but we will take your money”
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@page80 - The order is still placed and on course I'm happy to say, hope it all goes through this time.
@keith4x4 - I can see our faults agents have had this in hand as a personal issue since December and are updating you several times a week - your latest reply states the drops are now pretty much resolved and it's latency that is the problem now? Hope it all gets sorted soon but it definitely looks like it's all in hand.
inhost
Grafter

@page80 sadly this is not unique, as much as PN blame BT they are to blame, these days the plus has no idea what the net is doing.
I suggest you cancel everything and contact an ISP who wants your business enough to make things happen. Either that or just be British, hang your head, say... "oh ... ok...never mind" and be tied in to 12 - 18 months of rubbish service.
keith4x4
Grafter

Matt Roll_eyes
You have missed the point
The length of time this has taken to get it looked at correctly rather than the usual "it will do" is well beyond acceptable (2 years in April)
The fact it has not dropped for nearly a week means very little but yes its an improvement of sorts. The latency problem is still there bad enough to make it unusable 50% of the time.
I would like to know if you would put up with this and still expect to pay full price for half a service?
Page80  I really do hope that it does all work out for you.
The only good part of PN is that the call centre is in this country. The rest, well you need to find out for yourself.
I wish you all the best  but remember even the best of gardens need tending constantly.
page80
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
@page80 - The order is still placed and on course I'm happy to say, hope it all goes through this time.

Matt, can I get some reassurance that the order is still on track for next week please.  I'll check again with you nearer the time as well if that's ok.
Thanks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked your order and it's still on track.
keith4x4
Grafter

Fingers crossed for the 8th
Good Luck