Noisy Router

FIXED
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Noisy Router

@markstacey83,

I've RAM'd the router for you. You should receive it in the next couple of working days.

Mike47

Good evening Emily, it appears that my router either has a squeking wheel inside or a demented cricket , also the internet drops out . Have already tried dealing witht the 5g issue but without any luck. I am in search of help or guidance, thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

@Mike47, sorry that you're having issues with your router. I've ordered a new one which should arrive within the next few days. When you send the old one back instead of using the prepaid returns bag, please could you follow the instructions Here? The router will then find its way to the right people so we can investigate this further. Thanks. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mike47

Thank you so much Gandalf , i cannot wait to restore a quality service.

Pantherus

Hello PlusNet wizards - Gandalf looking at you! 

My router after 3 weeks has also developed a noise which appears to be on the 5hz when it's being used by a number of devices. Could we have a new one please?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Pantherus Sorry to hear this. I've arranged for a new router to be sent out to you and we'll get that to you as soon as possible

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
markstacey83

Hi Jo,
Thanks for sending me the new router, but unfortunately it's just as noisey as the first...
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @markstacey83, sorry to hear the noise persists on the new router also and at this point we can solely advise splitting/disabling the 5Ghz to help prevent/stop this from happening.

Steps on how to split the 2.4Ghz frequency and the 5Ghz frequency can be found here

Alternatively, steps on how to split the frequencies and then disable the 5Ghz are below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Let us know how it goes.

fire3
Hooked

So far You have replaced 2 routers, now router number 3 is making the dreaded noise. Is there an alternative router available? 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @fire3,

I'm sorry that you have experienced this issue with all three of the routers that we have sent. The Hub One is the only model of router that we have that is compatible with fibre broadband, I'm afraid.

If you've not done so already, please can you try splitting and disabling the 5GHz frequency as per the instructions from @BD and let us know if this resolves the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
sri_

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem, it is so annoying.

I spoke to customer services and they were very blunt and rude and told me I just have to live with it! I need a solution to this problem else I'm gonna go crazy.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @sri_

My college @TheMightyAJ has provided a lengthy explanation in regards to this issue on a seperate thread - you can click here to jump directly to the post. 

Thanks, 

MoR

tomhoman

Hi, I am experiencing exactly the same problem. The noise is incredibly irritating. Please can you issue me a replacement as well? Many thanks, Tom
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @tomhoman,

To try and stop the noise you can disable the 5GHz frequency band by following the guide below.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:

What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:

On this page you need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

This issue has been raised with our hardware vendor and they advised that the noise is within acceptable limits. I'm afraid sending a new router is unlikely to resolve the issue but we are still investigating the matter with our vendor.

Although I appreciate this noise may be irritating, it will not have any adverse affects on the functionality / performance of 5GHz.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
tomhoman

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. By disabling the 5GHz what will the consequence be? Will my speed slow down/WiFi range not be as strong? I assume it’s set up this way for a reason? Thanks, Tom