cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't assign a static IP

wbabbington

Can't assign a static IP

I bought a new NAS yesterday and it's trying to connect to the old fixed IP address that I had assigned it. I've logged into my hub two router and gone to change the IP address back to the old one. Saved it and exited but it keeps giving the NAS the new IP not the old one. Now the option to assign it a static IP address is stuck on YES and I can't turn it off! So can't even try again. Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

Re: Can't assign a static IP

@wbabbington welcome to the forum.

I've found it's not always possible to make the changes if the device is connected to the network, I would suggest turning the NAS off.

Once off in Advanced settings >My Network I would remove the old NAS drive entry. When the new NAS is then powered on hopefully you'll be able to change the IP to you choice.

Note: It is not possible to 'Remove' a device if it is shown as connected (Remove has a white background with a black boarder)

It may not be possible to make the changes using a smart phone even when the browser is set to use desktop site, try using a tablet or desktop PC

HTH

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Can't assign a static IP

@wbabbington 

Static IP addresses are set in the NAS, not the router. Are you instead reserving a router DHCP address by selecting 'always use this address' in the router? Have you remembered that you need to log in to the router Advanced/My Network settings to change these settings?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'