cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre in a new build

Lenzar
Hooked

Full fibre in a new build

I have moved to a brand new council house. On discussing things with PlusNet, I opted to go for 300mbps full fibre. This is apparently being activated tomorrow. However I foolishly left my router's power cable (why can't it run off a PC's power?) in my old place and it has now been boarded up. 

There are several wall sockets in each room that are for an ethernet cable. Can I connect straight into this or do I need to wait for a new router, which is coming but I suspect it will take a few more days. Sad

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Full fibre in a new build

Your Hub needs mains power, so you will have to wait for the new one -when was it ordered/despatched, as they are sent by Royal Mail 'Tracked24'?

John
Lenzar
Hooked

The guy on the phone said he'd process its despatch immediately, this was on Friday. I've had no emails suggesting it's actually been despatched - I have Asperger's and I get nervous about not knowing what's going on.

What's the point of all the wall sockets if I still need the router?

jab1
Legend

OK - if he ordered it Friday, the chances are the warehouse would pick the order up tomorrow and despatch it, meaning it would be with you Tuesday - Wednesday at the latest.

The wall sockets are to distribute the signal around your home - after it has been received by the Hub.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Ddiificult to say without knowing how the sockets are wired.

Somewhere in the house you should have an ONT that looks something like this mceclip0.png

Your router WAN port needs to be connected to this .

I suspect all your sockets re wired to a distribution cupboard somewhere, probably where the ONT is where there are sockets on the other end of the cables. You then connect the router LAN ports to the other sockets. making LAN connections available in other rooms. If you have lots of sockets you may also need a network switch

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lenzar
Hooked

I have one of those in a cupboard in my hallway. It is in a small cabinet and has something plugged into it at the bottom. There are then three ethernet sockets above the cabinet.

Where will I need to plug my router? 

jab1
Legend

@Lenzar The Hub plugs into one of the sockets on the bottom of the box - I think it may be the centre one, but it will probably only fit one.

Just checked - it is the centre socket on the ONT.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Lenzar 

Their will only be one ethernet socket on the ONT. The cable is then plugged into the Red WAN socket on the HUB2.

To use any of the wall sockets you simply run an ethernet cable from the Hub2 to the socket in the cupboard. The Hub2 has 3 ethernet sockets and you have 3 wall sockets available (a match made in heaven!!!). You'll may need to buy some short cat5e cables.

Brian

Edit : This link gives info on OR ONT's https://support.aa.net.uk/Openreach_FTTP_ONT

Lenzar
Hooked

Right. So I need one cable from the ONT to the hub, then ethernet cables from the hub to the sockets above the ONT? I'm guessing there's 3 to go with the single socket in my lounge and the sockets that I have found in both bedrooms?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Lenzar 

The Hub2 will come with an ethernet cable so that's one. You then need 3 more cables if you want to use all of the wall sockets.

Brian

Lenzar
Hooked

It's alright, I live on my own so will only need one.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

You then need 3 more cables if you want to use all of the wall sockets.

You'll actually need 6, 3 in the Comms cupboard connecting the router to the wall sockets, and one for each of the room sockets to connect each device

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lenzar
Hooked

Still no sign of the router. In 2024 it is simply unacceptable that it is now Tuesday and I still don't have it. It is pathetically slow.

jab1
Legend

@Lenzar Have you had notification that it has been despatched - either as an email or a note on your account?

John
Lenzar
Hooked

Nothing. Only an email telling me the fibre is activated.