cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reactivating a cancelled phone line

itsme
Grafter

Re: Reactivating a cancelled phone line

As PSTN is the primary service and Broadband is a secondary service I would suggest that the transfer of the phone is done first and then the broadband. This will stop any automated systems ceasing the phone when the Broadband is moved.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
Such a proposal does indeed make sense, but it also falls foul of a few things.
First, a phone transfer takes a minimum of 2 weeks. So taking today as an order point, the order would complete any time upto the end of day on August 1st baring any problems. This leads to a broadband migration completing in the 5 working days of either August 8th or 9th.
Circumstances depending, this could create problems for the user which isn't limited to, but the most obvious one is the MAC may have expired by the 1st, meaning the end user needs to obtain a new one. No MAC is needed for a phone transfer, so provided the customer has provided authority, it can start at any time.
Next issue is that the general conditions from Ofcom (specific points on GC 22) require that the provider perform a migration of broadband in a timely manner
smaclangdon

Hi everybody and thanks for the information and advice  :). Since I last posted I was able to speak with a member of the PlusNet support team who was much more informed about the problem and as such were much more helpful and friendly. They were able to provide a proper explanation about what had happened and didn't just demand a £65 fee in order to reconnect the line. This and the information provided by P. Richardson made it clear that PlusNet were not the guilty party and that the problem was with Virgin. We went with this info to OFCOM who started an investigation on the line for us and advised us to start a claim with Virgin. Whilst Virgin are still claiming they have no record of ordering a cease on the line they are the only possible party that could have done this and if they did then OFCOM will be able to punish them for breaking competition laws. As of yet I have not heard anything back from Virgin after sending an email to their head office and the OFCOM investigation is still ongoing.
After agreeing to pay the fee to remain on the monthly contract and get the line reconnected late on the 17th the phone line was connected on the 18th and the broadband earlier today. The only service missing is the caller ID which seemed to get lost in the restarting of the services, and as I can't access the home phone control panel is there any chance of this being added? All in all the situation has caused much less disruption than I first feared and as long as OFCOM are able to help us with our claim against Virgin I will be happy with the outcome.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Very good luck with the OFCOM investigation and your claim against VM.
I and I would guess many more around here wish you a very satisfactory outcome. Smiley
Please keep us updated.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
prichardson
Grafter

Having had a quick look, it does appear we missed the vital part in placing the Caller ID on the line along with re-activation.
I have submitted an order for this to be corrected for you.