Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone or internet for 7 weeks

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: No phone or internet for 7 weeks

@Marksfish I may be wrong here - @MisterW can possibly confirm, but if you are not in a Fibre programme, they should replace like for like.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

@MisterW can possibly confirm,

Not sure I can, who knows what goes on in the depths of Openreach?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @MisterW , but surely they can source copper cable? 😀

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm sure they can!, but if its a lot of properties affected and the area is scheduled for FTTP in the future, they might consider it cheaper to bring the FTTP rollout forward. Of course, that's not going to be quick, but then again OR don't consider that aspect...

It's all just theories of course😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

The results for the address:

Untitled.jpg

I'm sure that putting a fibre strand into a copper line won't work 😀 and i'm sure, if it is there with no plans, they have to replace like for like to restore a service.

Not the best line either, but suits his requirements.

Untitled2.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

if it is there with no plans, they have to replace like for like to restore a service.

Normally yes, but it seems like OR can do what they feel like sometimes!

Yes the checker says that WBC isnt available. However FTTP on demand IS, so its physically possible to get FTTP to the property (at a cost!) . OR could (possibly) decide that their bearing that cost (themselves) is cheaper than replacing the copper.

I really don't know (does anyone?) understand how OR thinks...

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@MisterW wrote:

Yes the checker says that WBC isnt available. However FTTP on demand IS, so its physically possible to get FTTP to the property (at a cost!) . OR could (possibly) decide that their bearing that cost (themselves) is cheaper than replacing the copper.

That would be good if they decided to go that way. Wouldn't they need to use the same ducts though that are potentially causing additional problems? There are no poles to my father's cul de sac.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

They would normally use the same ducts, yes

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@MisterW wrote:

Normally yes, but it seems like OR can do what they feel like sometimes!

A village not that far from us was without any phone or internet connection for several weeks last year.  Lines came down and OR looked at the cost of replacing them and chose not to bother.  IIRC it impacted about 50 or 60 homes.  OR seemed to think that not having a phone line didn't matter as they were going to be taking them out before long anyway.  Took a concerted campaign to persuade them to repair the lines, and they only did so because mobile reception in the area is poor, so that community was effectively cut off completely.

I'm sure that had there not been a bit of a media campaign to get OR to fix the problem they most likely wouldn't have done anything at all.   Reminded me of a public meeting here some years ago, about trying to get mobile coverage.  One of the big providers sent someone along who was very open and honest, he just told us straight out that it didn't make economic sense for them to install and maintain a mast just to provide a service to so few homes.  I can see his point and I'm sure he was right, that they'd have been losing money hand over fist trying to keep the mast going with so little income.  I suspect OR view things in a similar way.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Although not due to hear anything back from PN until the 29th, I had an update from one of the councillor's today:

they have now done an emergency road closure

So, despite the previous response on the ticket saying no road closure was needed (which would take 3 months to arrange), they have had a closure in place today. Let's hope we are now in the final throes of this fault.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

It's getting ridiculous now,::

- CSC Analyst
11:12am, Monday 29 Jan 2024
Update due by end of day today.
Holding to check tomorrow as no new updates
- CSC Analyst
11:13am, Monday 29 Jan 2024
This Question is now on hold until Tuesday 30th January at 7:00am.

There must be some sort of an update. The response above is a cop put and quite frankly, I think the escalation process from Plusnet is rather dismal and non existent.

Nothing said to my father regarding suspending the calls part of his phone package either, perhaps we should just roll over and forget about it?

jab1
Legend

@Marksfish I don't recall, but have you put in an official complaint about this? If not - I would - sharpish!

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I was told PN had escalated this to a complaint weeks ago and my Dad received an ADR letter the other week. I have sent him a copy of a letter to the ADR provider for him to read through and to approve, then I feel that may be the only option left as this has become a farce of vast proportions.

When I was a PN customer, service was always pretty good, which is why I recommended my Dad. I realise Openreach hold all the cards, but pressure must be applied to them by the company my father contracts to provide him telephony services.

Mark

jab1
Legend

Considering the length of this failure, whoever's responsibility it is, I would go for it.

I agree PN used to be excellent, but since BT have decided that they are now the 'budget' brand, service has been reduced to the minimum.

When i joined some 14/15 years ago, they were brilliant, but this past few years, they have been emasculated - the main reason I left them about 3 three years ago, as I saw the way they were going.

Fortunately I can solve most issues myself without having to contact an ISP, but if I had an issue where only they could apply pressure to their suppliers (Openreach), I saw problems, so jumped.

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Script User - Automated Script Pool
7:08am, Tuesday 30 Jan 2024
Question [ 238267804 ] is now off hold. Our Support Team will provide a further update soon.

Right, so why are there no updates being provided? Almost 11 hours off hold and totally ignored.