cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free calls to other PlusNet Home Phone users?

Simon_M
Grafter

Re: Free calls to other PlusNet Home Phone users?

AFAIK all SIP to SIP calls should be free, even if not Plusnet to Plusnet.
To ensure that they are, you may have to dial them as 1234567@sip.plus.net rather than as 01...etc. That ensures that they don't drop out to the PSTN network & then back again (which is where the charging kicks in).
This is where a proper SIP phone comes in, rather than an analogue phone connected to an ATA, because they will only dial numbers.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Simon
AFAIK all SIP to SIP calls should be free, even if not Plusnet to Plusnet.
To ensure that they are, you may have to dial them as 1234567@sip.plus.net rather than as 01...etc. That ensures that they don't drop out to the PSTN network & then back again (which is where the charging kicks in).
This is where a proper SIP phone comes in, rather than an analogue phone connected to an ATA, because they will only dial numbers.

this is a home phone question not VOIP
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
Obviouly calling someone else on Homephone E/WE in the evening / weekend is free
- but somewhere I read that even during the day calls between Homephone users is free ?Huh

Mal, my calls to my sister are always free, whatever time of day I ring her. I'm on Evening and Weekend. Hers to me were being charged and she's on Essential (which just has free weekend calls). That, which shouldn't have happened, is the 'known problem' that's due to be fixed tomorrow.
This is all Home Phone to and from landlines, just in case you've got confused by Simon's post where he's mixed Home Phone up with Broadband Phone.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
this is a home phone question not VOIP

Silly me.
That's what comes of arriving at a thread via 'Unread Posts' instead of by forum title. I had VoIP on the brain at the time.
Apologies.
mal0z
Grafter

Thanks guys - and no hassle about VoIP - I don't bother with that as I don't make a tremendous amount  of calls and have no son's or daughters phoning appropriate partners  Grin