Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atari back in business

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Atari back in business

Let's face it, it's not really a comeback but a company that acquired a brand looking to cash in on nostalgia.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If I had my Commodore Vic-20 I would still enjoy playing Bomber / Blitz.

Blitz.jpg

VIC-20 Shatner.jpg

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My dad borrowed a Vic 20 from work when they were around, so I played on that for a day.
Then got me a Commodore 64, which I had for years.

Took me to a computer show in Hammersmith (I even know the road name),  got me an Amiga A500.

Ah they joys of playing games, Workbench and Deluxe Paint. As it had Workbench 1.3 and when 2 came out (around 1991 I think), at a further computer show I got a ROM switcher. It went fine considering I had no DIY skills (still don't now) and I was much younger then.

Those were the days Tongue

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@DaveyH wrote:
Let's face it, it's not really a comeback but a company that acquired a brand looking to cash in on nostalgia.

Depends how you look at it. Maybe not a comeback for the original Atari but certainly for the brand and logo that many people adored moons ago.

These days anything seems to happen. I never thought an old atari ST could cost more than a RPi but they do! Crowdfunding works in mysterious ways too. Nurses who save peoples lives struggle to get support for parking tickets.. while some totally weird bloke gets £mega to build a submarine that he then murders a journalist in Crazy3

A decade ago you could pretty much predict how common sense would work but these days everything is totally scrambled hence the theory its always possible for Atari to bounce back with other products in the future.

Remember how Skoda was a laughing stock?!!!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@DaveyH wrote:

It won't be the same Atari from back in the day. But it might still be a half decent throwback, time will tell.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

7up wrote:

I never thought an old atari ST could cost more than a RPi but they do!

Yes I noticed it when I wanted to purchase an second hand Commodore 64 (no prizes for guessing that auction site Tongue).

I guess because they are older (break and and are now rarer) the are worth more money. Some were going for what they cost new when they were released. When I went to go to boot fairs years ago you could get them for next to nothing.

At least the one I paid £80 for worked, and I got a C64 monitor cable to Scart, which works fine and looks pretty cool on my TV.

Also got a flash disk drive (C64 thinks it is a real one), you load it up with .d64 images (yes of course I only download the ones I physically own Police), and play away.

Yes I know I could use an emulator, but for some reason I don't find it the same not playing on the real thing Wink 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well its been a while but we now have the official name, Atari VCS. The Atari press kit can be seen here:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fDUKNDTH3yQp4wIB_kt2u4rrMkhvkes5

Adding a few pics from the link above. Are we hyped yet? 

1.png2.png3.png

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.