cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is even the lowest speed fibre optic cabling?

robatworkuk
Grafter

Is even the lowest speed fibre optic cabling?

Thinking of ditching VM and switching to plusnet.

On the openreach website it suggests lower speeds (<100Mb) are FTTC and 1000Mb is FTTP.

Is plusnet's lowest offering (currently 74Mb) proper FTTP?

A follow up Q if I may - I have been told the cable will be run from a pole, not underground. As there's already a hole in the roof for the old BT POTS, I guess they will just use that. How willing are installers to run an internal cable around my attic to the other side where my power and switch are?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

Re: Is even the lowest speed fibre optic cabling?

Is plusnet's lowest offering (currently 74Mb) proper FTTP?

All of the Full Fibre products are proper FTTP , from the FF74 to the FF900. However there is, confusingly, a product called just Fibre which is FTTC without a phone service.

As there's already a hole in the roof for the old BT POTS, I guess they will just use that. How willing are installers to run an internal cable around my attic to the other side where my power and switch are?

Have a look at this link https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist which gives some information on how an FTTP install works. Note that the external junction box must be at ground level, although its sometimes possible for the junction box to be installed inside. I believe the standard install allows up to 10m of internal fibre to be used from the junction box to the ONT (which must be close to a power socket).

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robatworkuk
Grafter

That is helpful, thanks.

So if I'm reading the BT site correctly, they go from the pole through the air to the roof. Then that cable runs down the house to a box that has to be at ground level. Then drill through either at ground level to a location for the ONT, or possibly another cable back up to the roof and through to install the ONT in the attic. 

If the latter it seems a mess of cable on the house, so I will request the junction box inside the attic if at all possible. Anyone on this forum successfully done that?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

so I will request the junction box inside the attic if at all possible

A lot depends on what access to the attic/loft is like and the individual engineer on the day

Have a read of this for example https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/openreach-fttp-install-ont-in-loft.37693/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I had the same problem with overhead copper to 6m up on gable replaced by fibre. Engineer agreed it was silly to run down the gable and back up so agreed to follow copper cable's run through wall and along roof timbers to drop down into hall. Junction box placed just inside the fibre's entry through existing hole. This area is floored above our garage but he said he was not allowed to walk across the joists and in fact seemed reluctant to run cable through roofspace at all even though it's floored. He allowed me to run the fibre through clips remaining from the copper line but seemed grumpy saying it was a premium install whatever that is.

Tea 'n' biccies produced a faint smile but as others have said it depends on the Mood of the Day. In fairness it's a very neat job and we are delighted with the outcome.