cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed vs line speed

jthom
Grafter

Download speed vs line speed

I reported an issue with my connection resetting overnight every couple of days. The ticket was closed with the message saying my fault has been resolved and the line would stabilise over 3 days. There was no comment about what was done to fix the fault.

This was 10 days ago and my line does seem to be more stable, the snr has not been dropping to 0 and then resetting. And the the line speed has increased.

What I have found is my download speed has not increased, even though my IP profile has increased by 5Mbps to 63. The tested download speed seems to be stuck at 56Mbps and has been for months. On the BT speed test the initial speed flashes up at about the ip profile speed and then drops to 56. This also matches my routers built in speed test result.

I noticed a post mentioning fixed IP addresses with a similar issue, not sure if it is relevant?

Fixed: Issue with line speed vs sync speed. - Plusnet Community

3 REPLIES 3
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Download speed vs line speed

Thanks for getting in touch @jthom

Can I ask, how are you testing your connection? Sync speeds on our end are coming through at 65.5 Mbps. You are connected via L2TP, which means your sync speed is influenced by both ourselves as well as Openreach, but your connection profile on our end is in line with the current sync rate. The line also looks relatively stable too.

Despite the above though, I've run a test on the phone line which has found what we call a Battery Contact fault, this is sometimes caused by crowded cabinets, and can have an impact on your connection. I've raised this with our suppliers, and we're hoping to have it both addressed and resolved by Thursday.

I've created an open Fault ticket on the account which you can both view and comment on for direct communication with our Technical Support Team here:

KBD

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 65.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 563.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2022-01-05T09:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 63.4 Mbps 68.5 Mbps 66.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 13.0 Mbps 13.1 Mbps 13.0 Mbps
Up Time 809.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jthom
Grafter

Hi,

My line is now more stable and not dropping as it was previously. With good speed and very low errors

The speed is slowly increasing which is good. But there now seems to be a mismatch between profiles and download speeds.

Line speed 69.1

BT ip profile on BTW speed tested additional diagnostics 64.07

Plusnet information page 61.8. it has been like this for quite a while, it was tracking the BT ip profile, but stopped when it got here.

Speed test on BTW and router (Asus with Ookla on board) around 58.5

I would expect the speed test to be bit lower that the BT profile, but this is more than I have seen previously.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

The PN profile could take a little while to catch up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.