cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I order a new broadband-only line from PlusNet in addition to my existing BT phone line

FIXED
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Can I order a new broadband-only line from PlusNet in addition to my existing BT phone line

Without (as advised) giving any personal information circumstances mean I would like to order an additional line to my property for FTTC broadband (no phone service) whilst retaining the existing BT copper phone line/number. This existing line also has ADSL broadband from PlusNet which also needs to be retained. An upgrade is not appropriate.

I understand that the new line will need a new account as described here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/second-broadband-line-with-Plusnet/m-p/1834017 but is this still possible, if so how?

32 REPLIES 32
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Can I order a new broadband-only line from PlusNet in addition to my existing BT phone line

@HPsauce 

Contact the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HPsauce
Pro

Re: Can I order a new broadband-only line from PlusNet in addition to my existing BT phone line

Thanks for that @Baldrick1  though as far as I can tell that phone number just takes you into the standard PN inbound telephone menu.

I chose to work my way through to the "I'm thinking of leaving" option as that usually gets a quick answer!

They confirmed they can install an extra broadband-only line which in my area HAS to be FTTC. £49.99 installation and £25.99 a month (about to go up) for a 24-month contract.

They also recommended that I phone to order to avoid any confusion with my existing line as I made it clear that HAD to be left alone.

HPsauce
Pro

Sadly there seems to be no incentive to retain existing long-standing customers, the price is the same as a new property and no discounts are offered or available. 😒 And it's a 2-year contract with annual prices rises, the first being this March!

Having a look at alternatives there seem to be plenty of suppliers offering similar or lower monthly charges with free/minimal installation charges and cashback/discount incentives. Various contract terms of 12/18/24 months after which there are potentially significant increases on some.

So I'll do my research and possibly go for the best deal to tide me over the next 2 years until VOIP is more prevalent/standard. Maybe by then the future FTP options will be clearer for my exchange as well. 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HPsauce wrote:

the future FTP options will be clearer for my exchange as well. 🤣

Have you checked whether there are any alternative FTTP providers in your area ?

Try putting your postcode and address in to the Ofcom Broadband Availability Checker,

then see whether "Ultrafast" is available ?

or under the Ultrafast line, does it list any "Networks in your area" ?, or "Fixed Wireless Access" providers ?

Another thing to try is open the ThinkBroadband UK Broadband Coverage map

then at the bottom right hand side, put your postcode in to the search box, and click on the magnifying glass

then zoom in as close as you like

then on the right hand side, toggle the checkbox for "Any FTTP provider postcodes" to see who nearby has FTTP

also check "Speed Test Results" to view nearby speeds and click on the blue bubble to see what network they're using.

HPsauce
Pro

Virgin cable or Openreach FTTC only. ☹️

HPsauce
Pro

So this afternoon I "bit the bullet" and ordered a new/additional line from PlusNet - FTTC/SOGEA as is the only option in my area.  And I now have two PlusNet accounts. 😎

It was a bit fraught at first as the sales rep couldn't see any way to order a second line and was pretty insistent that taking over my current line was the ONLY option. But after some lengthy discussion and conferring with colleagues the correct procedure was identified. 😅 I even had my new account added as a referral to the original, so I get a saving during the time (however long that turns out to be...) that I have parallel connections. The price (as quoted previously) was explained further and it does already include a new customer discount (shown in my T's and C's) so in 2 years time I'll revisit the "competitive situation" and hopefully staying with PlusNet will still make sense.

An engineer is scheduled to visit (and hopefully install and connect the second master socket) a week tomorrow, which isn't bad at all. 😊

Meanwhile I'll be monitoring my existing BT Retail phone and PlusNet ADSL services very closely just in case "wires get crossed"! 😲

HPsauce
Pro

Slight correction, engineer scheduled for the morning of Wednesday 21st (not Tuesday).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will you be buying in a packet of Openreach cable installer's legendary favourite biscuits, to ensure things go smoothly ?

HPsauce
Pro

I need an "insider" to update me on the current preferred options. 😄 Or is it just Hobnobs? 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

The topic of which biscuits are the favourite of Openreach cable installers, has been discussed on several occasions on the ThinkBroadband forum, and consistently they have replied "Fig Newtons"

Fig Newtons.jpg

HPsauce
Pro

Fig rolls at my shop/supermarket. Isn't Fig Newton what they're called "over the pond"? 🤣

HPsauce
Pro

Well it seems that Openreach also want to be double sure. 😮 Earlier today I got a lengthy text from them explaining there was already a line at my property (no [-Censored-] Sherlock!) which they could reuse without an engineers visit and wanted me to say:

A- I want an Additional Line

B- I want to use the Existing Line

Obviously I replied A for Additional and after further exchanges of messages they confirmed my engineer visit for a week today. 😎

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try texting back and ask them to choose -

A - Fig rolls

B - Hobnobs

Grin

HPsauce
Pro

Fig rolls included in my Supermarket delivery due on Monday. 😁

Also, in contrast to a number of complaints here, my new Hub2 router arrived today, well ahead of installation/activation on Wednesday/Thursday. 😎

Though I probably won't actually use it as I prefer to separate 2.4 and 5GHz channels by name. I conveniently have a BT Smart Hub 6 (Type A) which can do that and also has all 4 LAN ports available.