cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail Login Names

jon47
Dabbler

Webmail Login Names

I've just helped another friend migrate to plusnet, and the one thing he cannot get his head around is the weird usernames you have to use to log into webmail.  It would be *much* easier if you could login with an email address and password - I can't see that it's too hard to tweak the login system to (a) recognise an email address, and then (b) munge it from mailbox@user.plus.com to user+mailbox internally.
Can this get fixed?
Thanks
Jon
2 REPLIES 2
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Webmail Login Names

Quote from: jon47
It would be *much* easier if you could login with an email address and password -

I hope I don't seem abrupt when I say I don't agree with this. I'd rather keep the existing system. It just shows you can't please all the people all the time....
Chris
Not applicable

Re: Webmail Login Names

It would be *much* easier if you could login with an email address and password

I am referring to the default mailbox in this reply: Currently when you log into squirrelmail you use your username and password.
If you were required to use the email address it would be more complicated and would take longer to type in. Also, the username forms part of the email address anyway.
Can this get fixed?

On past form, I would doubt it. The Squirrelmail thread went on for a very very long time and PN don't seem to be committed to finding an alternative to it, despite many people wanting a better option.
One other thing that your friend might consider is setting up Zoho or Gmail to fetch the mail from PN's servers, but again, their login is username and password. Both of these can be configured to send out email with your PN email address.
Sorry if I have misunderstood the original question and reply is not what you wanted.