cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet deleted all my emails

bar8s
Hooked

Plusnet deleted all my emails

As per some similar posts on here Plusnet has also archived/deleted all my emails after the so friendly email re 

Don't worry though, we'll keep your emails safe for 30 days before deleting them; so if you simply didn't get round to it, then we'll happily restore all of your messages to give you a bit longer to tidy things up.

After many calls to the support team who at first said they had restored my emails I was later informed that in fact 

"I have called you today to confirm that we have investigated this matter for you and regret to inform you that unfortunately we do not have any further emails to restore to you.

I have been in contact with our back-end team to double check the back up servers and it has been confirmed that we have only got upto 21/01/2024 as the last back up. As the emails were archived on 11/01/2024, this means anything prior to 11/01/2024 no longer exists. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this."

So as you can imagine this is quite a blow as it seems that plusnet do not have any disaster recovery process in place or just cant be arsed to get my emails even though I've been a loyal customer for over 10years 

My only offer was minor financial compensation or the option to go to the ombudsman 

I see in the other posts that I not the only person effected by this

I WOULD SUGGEST ANYONE USING PLUSNET MAIL BACKUP THEIR EMAILS AS ITS INCLEAR HOW THEY WOULD RESTORE YOUR EMAILS IF A CYBER ATTACK/HACK HIT THEIR EMAILS SERVERS 

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Plusnet deleted all my emails

@bar8s If they had archived your emails, that would suggest you went over the storage limit. You recieve at least three warning messages prior to the archiving action - did you not get/act on these?

For obvious capacity reasons, no ISP is going to retain backups for ever.

John
bar8s
Hooked

Yes I did receive the emails and reacted to the first one on the 12 Jan so plus net had plenty of time to perform the "restore", but it didn't result in emails being restored that took a week, then they said they would do it again and still no emails 

Finally on 29th Jan from support 

I have been in contact with our back-end team to double check the back up servers and it has been confirmed that we have only got upto 21/01/2024 as the last back up. As the emails were archived on 11/01/2024, this means anything prior to 11/01/2024 no longer exists. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this.

jab1
Legend

So, reading what you have posted, you reacted to the first one - fair enough. What was the interval between the others? So long as you remain below the 1GB limit, you should be OK. I'm under the impression that, if you received more than one, you either didn't totally clear them OFF the server, or repeatedly went over the limit - the first warning is at, IIRC, 75%.

John
bar8s
Hooked

@jab1 none of the restore requests were completed by the support team, they were never able to restore my emails, because yes if they had done so the first thing I would have done was export them all

jab1
Legend

Did you not react to the 75% warnings then, and just wait for the final one? I assume that you emptied the 'deleted'/trash folder after removing them from the in/sent folders?

John
bar8s
Hooked

Yeah in the past I had purged my inbox/trash etc, but due to other issues this was not top of my list at the time, and I thought that the email said that plusnet would archive my oldest emails, which again would not be the end of the world, but I cant confirm this as I have no emails prior to Jan 12 

Its just more than a little concerning that I'm told 

Don't worry though, we'll keep your emails safe for 30 days before deleting them; so if you simply didn't get round to it, then we'll happily restore all of your messages to give you a bit longer to tidy things up.

Well not in this case ........