Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching to BT

FIXED
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

switching to BT

Just checking here, if I change from PN business to the BT package and want to keep my copper number do I just go ahead and sign up on the BT business website without notifying PN or do I have to go through PN? I've been out of contract for a number of years. What's the deadline for this if any?

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: switching to BT

Fix

If you want to keep a copper landline then you have about a week - after that you will only be able to move your phone to a DV connection (but you can keep the same number).

If you are out of contract then you can just contact BT (or any other ISP) and sign up.

Tags (1)
mlfprojects
Hooked

Renewed my contract for 24-month fixed price with Plusnet Business one month ago. Understand the transition to BT Business. However, what's not 100% clear to me is;

- will my existing online account profile, login, credentials etc be seamlessly transferred to BT and remain exactly the same?

- will my current DSL connection and home phone number remain the same and unaffected?

- I will be continuing to use my current Netgear router (not the BT router received in the post) and assume router ISP name, connection login, DSL mode, VLAND, DHCP settings etc won't be changing?

- Is there a single Plusnet or BT service migration information resource/FAQ/forum site I can access?

Thanks

Tags (1)
corringham
Seasoned Champion

I expect that the answer to all of your questions is NO.

- login credentials will be for BT not Plusnet - your Plusnet account will go away

- from recent experience I believe BT now only issue DV phone connections

- router setting may well be different, and I understand that BT's DV will only work if you use BT's router

- there is no FAQ that I'm aware of

Tags (1)
mlfprojects
Hooked

thanks @corringham Not ideal at all so wondering then that signing up for another 24 months with Plusnet Business was a waste of time and that my direct debit will fall away.. 

No switchover date provided and I'm expecting to go dark unexpectedly one day in the next few weeks. I might just boot up the BT router received and see if I can log into that and note all the settings that maybe I can apply to my current NG router.

Also managed finally to work out my new BT account login details etc and the alleged services (no idea what they are - well most of them) on order are;

Order includes:

BTCV Service

BTCV Site

BTCV Express Call Sharer Plan Cloud Voice Express

BTCV Site Number

BTCV W73P base unit handset

BTCV MultiSite Checker

Fibre 76 Ess (SOGEA) + CVEg

BTCV Express Delivery Charge

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I think BTCV is BT Cloud Voice, which I assume is the business version of Digital Voice. I have no idea just what features it offers.

The mention of SOGEA confirms that there is no PSTN.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

The BTCV W73P looks like a BT badged Yealink IP DECT base unit and handset https://help.business.bt.com/euf/assets/cloud_voice/pdf/3090-Yealink-W73P-user-guide.pdf

If that's the case then it would seem the Digital voice may now be independent of the Hub 2 since the W73P uses a LAN connection, giving the possibility of using ones own router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mlfprojects
Hooked

Spent ages on chat with the offshore team - twice I was transferred to the wrong team before understanding my query Sad

Yes, the package they sent was for a handset they said to plug into the router (RJ45). Not sure if it's dedicated to operate only on their own (yet to receive) router. Ideally, as you say, I will be able to keep my Netgear router once I know what their own router settings are. Nothing ideal as it seems there's a problem with my order and I should have received the router a few weeks back.

We'll see how this goes before thinking about bailing out to someone else.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@MisterW wrote:

If that's the case then it would seem the Digital voice may now be independent of the Hub 2 since the W73P uses a LAN connection, giving the possibility of using ones own router ?

IMO that would certainly be an interesting development, especially if it spreads across to non-business DV users.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@RobPN  The business service is different in the way the DV service is provided, I don't believe BT will be changing the zero configuration  "plug your phone into the router or use the wireless connected handset" method for residential customers.

I also think it is unlikely that the Business DV service will work on a non-BT router, I don't have any specific proof of this but the BT DV services appear to be encrypted and tightly locked down. Just looked at a guide to setting up the Cloud Voice service and it's plug and play, the Yealink base station and handset are pre-configured with the account details.

Maybe it would work with a 3rd party router but I doubt it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just looked at a guide to setting up the Cloud Voice service and it's plug and play, the Yealink base station and handset are pre-configured with the account details.

but that's just it! All the config is in the base station and it just has a network connection to the router, so unless they've put some specific ip allocation or port forwarding in the router ( can't see why they would ) then DV using the Yealink base station will work with any router. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mlfprojects
Hooked

Thanks @MisterW Interesting. If I get time over the weekend, on the off chance BT have already fully set up my account, I'll connect the base station to my existing router and see what happens..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd be interested in the results.

mlfprojects
Hooked

Base unit connected to own router over the weekend. All green lights on the base unit (lan light blinking green). However, when I dial any number on the base unit handset it's a 'network unavailable'. I know the landline works fine with what I have already as I can make/receive calls. Just waiting on the BT router now.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I know the landline works fine with what I have already as I can make/receive calls. 

your landline hasnt ported yet, so the digital voice account wont be active