Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closure of Plusnet Business - Date Confirmed as 28 May 2024

FIXED
Phil_Cleary
Grafter

Closure of Plusnet Business - Date Confirmed as 28 May 2024

We've just had an email confirming Plusnet Business will actually cease on 28 May 2024, not 31 December 2023 as BT sales kept on telling me on the phone.

The email confirms this would take effect for us on the billing date prior to this, 1 May 2024.

But I have already arranged to transfer our supply to Vodafone before then.

It's cheaper and they haven't lied to me.

A word to BT: lie to people and they will take their business elsewhere.

24 REPLIES 24
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Re: Closure of Plusnet Business - Date Confirmed as 28 May 2024

That would be the same pool of cold call lies that the business service will be ceased immediately if one did not take the option of going to BT.

Indeed sadly, it is now time to jump ship into a sea of sharks!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ToodlePip
Hooked

It is definately Shark O'Clock, I had THE CALL a few days ago.

The salesman argued that I was in a Fibre enabled area and could get a bazillion GB a second with no issue.

All because I was on a "Fibre package" already.

He had no understanding of the difference between FTTC and FTTP and I had to describe the situation thus.

200 metres from my house is a green cabinet that boast "Superfast Fibre is HERE!"

200 metres of damp Vintage copper wire, slowly oxidising away under the road connects to my house to provide a DSL service.

There is no BT fibre connected to my premises.

I pay BT for calls and line rental and have had the same number since 1998.

For some naieve reason the idea existed in my head that I would be able to transfer the number to an independant VOIP provider.

Instead I have had a sack pulled over my head, been bundled into a van and arrived in BT Business with a new Digital-voice service.

All of this means when the line is cut off on drop dead day, I will have no service whatsoever.

BT Is dead, all that is left to do is burn the body.

Anybody want a bag of BT DECT handsets ?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@ToodlePip wrote:

All of this means when the line is cut off on drop dead day, I will have no service whatsoever.

If by drop dead day you mean the day PSTN is withdrawn in your area, your phone will still work as the FTTC will still be working so Digital Voice will continue just as it does now.

It will still be delivered over copper wires from the cabinet because copper is not being retired (for decades yet), only the analogue PSTN phone service is being retired by the end of 2025. There is a lot of confusion regarding the difference between "copper" and PSTN phone service - but they are two separate things.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Phil_Cleary wrote:

But I have already arranged to transfer our supply to Vodafone before then.

It's cheaper and they haven't lied to me.

Indeed the Vodafone packages do look very attractive, however their prices seem to vary widely week to week.  When I first looked at Pro 100 it was £18pcm for the first 12 months and then £36pcm for the following 12 months on a 24 month contract.

When I decided to place the order this week, the price was £31pcm ... HOWEVER on attempting to sign up, their system fouled up on the credit checking twice and (according to their help desk) they have now put a black mark on the company's credit file.  It is very odd that they are the only supplier to ever fail the company on credit checking.  We even offered to pay for the whole 2 years up front (cash / credit is not a problem) ... and Vodafone still refused to do business.

The agent said they did not understand why the credit checks failed, nor why they placed a marker on the company.  Yet another issue to be fixed, which we just do not need.

Vodafone will now NEVER get any business from anything I have influence over.

Now looking for another provider, only a very substantial bribe would induce me to consider BT Business!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I forgot to mention that Vodafone sought to claim that Plusnet does not allow number porting!!!  Hogwash!

Phil_Cleary
Grafter

Update:
Transfer to Vodafone went through relatively OK.

Old number ported through to VOIP fine on the same day as broadband, so yes it is nonsense that number porting doesn't work.

It took a day or so to get the content filter on but that is now working.

Some users say the connection is slow at times - buffering - which I guess is because the Vodafone standard modem\router is a bit basic, so time to look for a better modem\router....

Oh - one other thing. Plusnet seem to have bricked our Hub 2. I wanted to recycle it myself but it refuses to connect on my home broadband account. Seems a bit churlish of them.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

wanted to recycle it myself but it refuses to connect on my home broadband account

younhave changed the username & password to your home account ones ?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Phil_Cleary BT/PN/EE Hubs will only connect on BT Group networks - a bit like you will find on other ISP's - A TalkTalk one, for instance, wouldn't connect o your PN or Vodaphone one.

Still don't think it would work, @MisterW  - but ICBW,

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 my understanding was that @Phil_Cleary  was trying to use it on a home Plusnet account 

jab1
Legend

Thought he had transferred to Voda, @MisterW ?

John
Phil_Cleary
Grafter

Yep, I was trying to use it at my home Plusnet account.

I'd swopped it over and it was working fine in the morning, slightly better wifi than my BT Smart Hub from ebay, but at the exact time Vodafone took over the business account, the Hub 2 at home disconnected.

It can "see" the internet is there, but refuses to connect to Plusnet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd assumed that since this thread is about the closure of the Plusnet  business side. His business account has been transferred but that he also has a home account still with pn

jab1
Legend

OK, @MisterW I see your point - I admit I haven't read the full thread - apologies, I'll crawl back under my bridge. 😂

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd swopped it over and it was working fine in the morning, slightly better wifi than my BT Smart Hub from ebay, but at the exact time Vodafone took over the business account, the Hub 2 at home disconnected.

But unless you had changed the credentials , it would still be connecting as your business account even on your home aconnection. Once the bus account transferred to VF the account would be closed and those credentials would no longer work.

If you change the username and PW to those of your home account it will work