ridiculous

my bb speed today is down from 4678 to 1325.and im getting fed up with this
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ridiculous

Hi thisoldman,
I've checked your profile and it's set to 4500 on both ours and BTs side of things. Would you be able to run a BT speed test?
The connection logs are looking fairly intermittent, do you often reboot the router, or could there be a fault there? Have you noticed any intermittent dropouts at all?
thisoldman
Grafter

Thanks for your interest Matt all I do is switch off the router when I’m going out.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  caps fixed ]
thisoldman
Grafter

Sorry Matt  I meant I just press button on back of router when I go out walkies with doggy  i don’t switch off at mains
jim:orange caps fixed mod:end
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm guessing that you walk the dog more than once a day - in which case  Sad
Does this mean that sometimes you turn the router on again during the evening - in which case  Sad Sad
Do you also turn it off if you don't plan to use the internet for a while - in which case  Sad Sad Sad
The best plan would be to turn it on in the morning when you first need it and only turn it off when you've completely finished for the day.
Many (most?) of us leave our routers on permanently and only turn them off if we are going away for a few days or more.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

That'll likely be what's showing the disconnections we see then.
It's not recommended to turn your router off and on too many times, as that can be interpreted as a dropping line by BT (which would then cause a drop in connection speed).
What are your router stats? You're looking for connection/sync speed, up and down and attenuation.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well I was going to recommend you leave the router on for at least three days (including overnight) to see if that made a difference, and I still recommend that - but as Jelv says, rebooting the router too often can lead to changes in your line speed especially if done in the evening.
thisoldman
Grafter

Thank you for the help replies.  I always for safety and cost reasons turn off the router when i am going out. I just have never seen the point of leaving it on when not in use.
I am aware thanks to you good chaps that  rebooting as u call it can affect lspeed but i still fail to understand why this should be the case.
As a non geek i sometimes ( and pardon me for saying this) that Pn staff are too geeky and technical at times. There must be loads of customers like myself who are disinterested in all the technical jargon spouted here ( synch profiles interleaving gateways etc etc)
All we want are simple non technical explanations of why our spped has dropped.Surely thats not too much to ask?
thisoldman
Grafter

jelv is giving me a heartattack with these sad smilesys. I hope he never posts 4 of them, for then ill be off like a shot to the samaritans
Mand
Grafter

There are two main reasons why turning your router on and off a lot could be bad.
The first is that the automated BT equipment which controls your connection speed could interpret this as an unstable line, and will keep reducing your speed until it thinks that it's stable.
The second is that you may turn the router back on at what is determined 'the wrong time'. When you power up your router it connects to the BT equipment at your exchange, and determines the highest speed you can have depending on the current conditions. If the moment you do this happens to be a time when there is a lot of noise or interference (early evening tends to be worst) then you'll get a much worse connection speed than say, at 8am.
Hope that explains it in simpler terms.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well I'll have a go (and I'll stay away from the sad smileys too)
Basically every time you turn your router on, it establishes a connection to your local BT Phone exchange. The speed of this connection depends in part on how much interference there is on the line at the given time (more interference means a slower connection, and if there's a lot of interference the connection can actually drop).
The equipment in the exchange remembers the speeds that the router connects at, and keeps a record of these. If it notices any large changes in the speeds it records, it actually changes the speed at which your router will connect the next time. This is because slower connections are less susceptible to interference.
Conversely, if the equipment in the exchange registers that you've been connected at a faster speed for more than a day or three on the trot, it will allow faster connections between itself and the router (as it knows there's less interference and therefore the connection will not drop even at faster speeds).
I hope that helps,
thisoldman
Grafter

Thank you Mand and Matt. These were excellent  non technical replies/explanations.