cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really slow connection since install #66427703

leebumblebee

really slow connection since install #66427703

got broad band fibre 80 installed last week and the bt engineer ran est at master socket and advised 80-89 meg as i lv really close to the cabinet and excahnge and the speed in Northern ireland is the best int he UK anyway
plusnet quoted speeds of 72 for me and since i have been installed i hae never been over 38 mbps
tonight it is running even lower at 8-mbps down and 3 upload
i heard that a lot of people have been on the wrong package and fid it odd that my bext door neighbour is running at 82 meg and i have been nowhere near in the past 7 days
raised a speed ticket #66427703
please help
13 REPLIES 13
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: really slow connection since install #66427703

Hi leebumblebee,
Welcome to our community forums,
I've had a look over your connection and your line is syncing in the high 70Mb/s and your profile is set correctly to match that. Are you currently connecting wired or wireless?
Chris
leebumblebee

Hi Chris,
both wireless and wired are giving approx 37-38mbps download this morning( my router is right next to where i usually use my laptop and 1.5-2mbps u/l. A vast improvement on last night but the same as it has been since we had it installed.
Was quoted 80-89 by the BT guy (who advised that our area is super quick due to location) and 72 i think by yourselves but it has never been anywhere near that speed - seems to me like it is on the 40mbps as it has never been over 38-39
Cheers for getting back to me
Lee
Bright
Grafter

Chris indicates your line sync is above 70Mbps - it might be worth confirming that just to absolutely eliminate the VDSL line as a source of the problem. If you run the BTW speed test, then click the "Further Diagnostics" button after the first test, it will then run a further test and show you your IP profile. What result does it give?
leebumblebee

I am at work at the moment so i will run the BTW test again when i get home later this evening and post results
cheers
leebumblebee

trying to run BTW tester but it is saying im not loged in as speedtest and to change my router password and lgoin detaisl is this normal?
still getting really low speeds
frustrating...
leebumblebee

also should i restart my modem and router or not?
getting mixed information as to whether to leave it on constantly especially in the first week or so or to restart if it is a low speed
cheers
leebumblebee

Ran btw results are as follows:
1 best effort test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2 upstream test
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.64Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
someone please help
Bright
Grafter

If you run the speed test again this morning, do you get the same result, or is your line running just below the IP profile rate?
If the latter, then you may well be suffering from this issue. The temporary solution is to drop your PPPoE connection in the router management page (don't touch the modem), count to 20 then re-establish it again. This should hopefully have the effect of connecting you to a different Plusnet gateway. You can find out which gateway you are connected to by looking here. The slow-down problem only occurs during peak hours and only seems to affect some gateways (maybe!). Hopefully PN will get to the bottom of the fault and fix it very soon.
If you still have low throughput this morning, you'll probably need to log a fault at faults.plus.net.
leebumblebee

Hi Bright,
connection was running at 88mbps this morning so i think it is the issue you refer to
How exactly do you drop the PPPoE connection?
Navigate to the router IP address, login and then what - excuse but im not exactly savvy when it comes to the router.
thanks again
Bright
Grafter

That's good news - at least it implies there's nothing wrong with your particular broadband link.
I assume you're using Plusnet's TG582n router. I'm not using it, but from memory after you've logged in there is a link in the menu at the left labelled Internet or something like that. Click that menu and you should see a button to disconnect the PPP connection. Click that. Wait 30 seconds and then click to connect.
If I've got it wrong, I'm sure one of the experts here will chip in with the correct instructions  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You are quite right Bright  Wink
This guide shows you what you are looking for.
In the Broadband Connection box, Click the Disconnect bnutton,wait 30 secs and then Click Connect to re-establish a PPPoE session.
HTH.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Wow 88mbps!! I only get upto 60mbps (wireless)  Cheesy
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
leebumblebee

thanks guys that seems to have done the trick in the meantime im now getting 87mbps wired and 73 wireless
hopefully it stays this way (all day) and ill be happy