cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer-pings query

paulg123
Grafter

new customer-pings query

hello peeps just signed up and am waiting for billing etc to be set up (im at the very basic signup level) just wondering what kind of pings ill get when im up and running on the pro package?
on my current provider in the command prompt on windows bbc.co.uk is coming back at 34-36ms.
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new customer-pings query

While I am not on exactly the same package as you, the ping time should not be much different,
This is what I get pinging the bbc.co.uk a few moments ago -
Alxns
Grafter

I'm on the extra package
paulg123
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
While I am not on exactly the same package as you, the ping time should not be much different,
This is what I get pinging the bbc.co.uk a few moments ago -

wow that is impressive i currently am getting 34-36ish on idnet on bbc ping
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of interest, why are you leaving "IDNet" ? as they are often very highly rated in many ISP reviews.
paulg123
Grafter

they are awesome but i wanna get the pro package with you guys for the better pings , if it dont end up being better here i'll just go back to them.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Paul, hope we can get better than that for you Smiley
Please do let us know if there's anything needs looking at and we'll get on it for you.
paulg123
Grafter

thanks matt good to know im gonna be looked after Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=paulg123]wow that is impressive i currently am getting 34-36ish on idnet on bbc ping
I will look forward to seeing whether your ping times improve, my guess is that your delay times will be unchanged as the actual traffic route will be quite similar.
paulg123
Grafter

where can i get that ping program from purleigh?
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04, under "System" > "Administration" > "Network Tools"
If you are running Windows, you could download the live desktop version of Ubuntu (from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download),
You can then boot your PC from the CD (you burnt from the above download) to run the live environment (without installing), and then access the "Network Tools".   Cheesy
julesandsand
Grafter

I, too, will be interested to see if your ping times improve. I'm on the PN Pro package and consistently get 32-34ms.
paulg123
Grafter

well got my broadband confirmation text 8:45 this morning and entered login details on router and currently using plusnet to write this message  Smiley running cool so far.
done pings to bbc and jolt.co.uk though and results are same as idnet so far give or take 1ms  Undecided does the line take time to settle when migrating from my old isp? i.e. will speed etc go up and down as if when you first get broadband without migrating?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulg123,
Yes, in your first 10 days you may see some fluctuation in your connection, we refer to this as the training period. The DLM (dynamic line management) system will, during this period, establish your line's optimum performance i.e speed versus stability and after this period we would expect this to settle down.
A bit more info can be found here
Jojo Smiley
paulg123
Grafter

ok thanks jojo, the other half made a comment about how fast her hotmail pages etc was loading up so all good on that end  Wink