cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Speed Tester should I believe?

MrT
Grafter

Which Speed Tester should I believe?

After a mystery router restart this morning, I thought I'd do some speed tests. The results were:
                                        Down /  Up
BT                                    2970  /  368
Think Broadband                3209  /  379
My Broadband Speed        3555  /  384
Which result should I believe?  Undecided
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Which Speed Tester should I believe?

You can run a number of speed tests over a relatively short time period using the same site and get variations so none are 'guaranteed accurate'.
It would depend on a number of factors at the time of each test.
This is a lovely piece of speed test software http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/ showing the variation over time of my connection below.  
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mfiles
Grafter

Strat - I agree about that piece of software - I've been using it for a few days now and it looks very promising   Smiley
Mfiles
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That makes for interesting reading.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Lower but more consistent than mine which illustrates a persistent drop in D/L speed at around 8:30 every night Huh
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mfiles
Grafter

It does present things in a way which highlights issues/odd-balls - My Ping stays steady at about 32ms until 5pm and then goes up - This is not a problem for me but as I say, it highlights things without having to go digging for things.
You can leave it running without any intervention....  I'll see if I feel the same in a month's time  Smiley