cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When i get Fibre Optic ???? will the speed be more consistent ?

timmytoad
Grafter

When i get Fibre Optic ???? will the speed be more consistent ?

Hi all, i have been a very happy NEW customer of Plus Net for nearly a couple of months, until recently the speed of my Internet connection has been pretty good, but recently it seems to have got very inconsistent sometimes well under 10mbps, using the recognised tester.
I will definitely be getting the Fibre Optic option when it is available in my area, could be a few months before it actually happens though Sad
I would like to ask any of the lucky people who DO already have FTTC,
is the speed consistent ?,
and
How fast  can i expect it to be ?,
I am ONLY a few hundred metres from the exchange and ONLY a few metres away from the cabinet !
Tim

19 REPLIES 19
martynsingleton
Grafter

Re: When i get Fibre Optic ???? will the speed be more consistent ?

from my history with plusnet, and ive only been a member for a couple of months, the speed is good when its running, 30-40mb down, but... and i say but... they cap you, thus enabling them to charge you for anything over 60 or 120gb, and believe me its easy to reach that with the high speed.. and... i have had continuous dropouts every week, i call they say they will investigate, then alas all is well, they close fault without doing anything, then a few days later fails again.. took me 6 attempts to get a replacement fibre modem from them.. had enough now, and am leaving for a more stable BT Infinity, UNLIMITED fibre optic , with faster upload speeds too...
timmytoad
Grafter

Quote from: martynsingleton
.. had enough now, and am leaving for a more stable BT Infinity, UNLIMITED fibre optic , with faster upload speeds too...

O dear buddy, that doesn't sound good, a FEW  questions come to mind after reading your post buddy, :- 
i thought you had to stay with Plus Net for at least a year !,
and,
how can can BT get your Fibre Optic any faster than Plus Net can?, it will only come through exactly the same wire from the same cabinet, from the same exchange, using the same BT folk to install it ?
Tim
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

how can can BT get your Fibre Optic any faster than Plus Net can

Plusnet fibre (FTTC) upload 2Mb BT fibre upload 10Mb
simples  Wink
Are you using the BT Speedtester here http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
i find the BBC iPlayer tester good as it tests 4 different streams http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
Ian
timmytoad
Grafter

Ok thanks Ian, yeah i have been using BT Speedtester all the time AFTER  i found out that this is the only one that Plus Net will take any notice of, if/when a customer complains of the SLOW speed.
Over the first couple of weeks it was consistently GOOD around 15mbps, but i was then using a different tester, one that kept a nice database of my results.
What i cannot get my head around at all, is the fact that Plus Net appears to be a part of BT !!!!
Tim.
dick:quote
ian007jen
Rising Star

Ok Throughput speeds are only half the story,
What are your router stats, (is the line stable) if the line keeps dropping connection you will lose speed.
Ian
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: timmytoad
Ok thanks Ian, yeah i have been using BT Speedtester all the time AFTER  i found out that this is the only one that Plus Net will take any notice of, if/when a customer complains of the SLOW speed.

Would have thought that all ISPs would have to use the BT Speedtester when reporting a sync speed problem as this form part of BT test system and all results are available to the ISP and BT.
x47c
Grafter

What i cannot get my head around at all, is the fact that Plus Net appears to be a part of BT !!!!

Very common in business.
A company may have various different 'channels' as they are called to push out their products to their customers.
They are run as self contained companies with profit targets and sectors of the population/buyers to aim at.
The overall group ownership will allocate a strategy to each channel - to make sure they don't compete with each other too much by ensure their target audience/purchasers are from a different demographic (social/income/home location or whatever they are choosing).
Many if not most conusmers will be unaware of the fact that say two products they are considering from two different suppliers are owned by the same group.
One I come across often is an ebay professional seller with a shop on ebay selling product X
A bit of time digging/research on addresses etc and I then find that the seller also has a standalone website under a different name with online shop also selling the product.
You may even find they also have a local shop/trade outlet.
The clever ones call the same product by a different name/part number to stop the casual google searcher spotting the match up.
...and the best bit is: all the prices for the same item will be different as each purchaser using each channel have a different 'sensitivity' to price.
timmytoad
Grafter

Quote from: x47c

Very common in business.

Thanks for that x47c you have definitely cleared that on up rather well, many brownie points for you ......
tim
timmytoad
Grafter

Quote from: ian007jen
Ok Throughput speeds are only half the story,
What are your router stats, (is the line stable) if the line keeps dropping connection you will lose speed.
Ian

Thanks ian, i am a bit of a newbie at this Internet Speed stuff (you may have guessed LOL)  but please how do i get my Router Stats ?.
Tim
ian007jen
Rising Star

Router Stats, I presume you are using the plusnet supplied router, then http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=0&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 username admin  Password will be the Serial Number on the bottom of your router.
See here for more help or different router http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml or here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Ian
timmytoad
Grafter

Gee Whizz friend, excellent, spot on, i havent wanted or needed to learn about that stuff before. i shall however be starting now, thanks.
tim
adie:quote
martynsingleton
Grafter

i thought you had to stay with Plus Net for at least a year !,
and,
how can can BT get your Fibre Optic any faster than Plus Net can?, it will only come through exactly the same wire from the same cabinet, from the same exchange, using the same BT folk to install it ?
Tim

Hi Tim, well they have supplied me with such a bad service they are making me buy my way out of my contract, but seeing as i would be paying up to 15 pounds extra each month as i would go over there cap, its worth while, also the fact that there service to me has been unstable , there customer service is shocking, i even had a email to me stating that a certain customer service assistant wasnt sure if something he did would solve the problem i had, as he had very little fibre training..
just goes to show plusnet have jumped in, yet havent invested in proper training.. or proper equipment either, going by the ammount of drop outs i had !!!
i think your other question has allready been answered ref speeds, BT own the FTTC lines, and they also install there much better, more stable equipment in the exchanges, which give you faster upload and download that plusnet can offer...
get out whilst you can thats all i will say, you will rue the day you joined this lot..
timmytoad
Grafter

Hi Tim, well they have supplied me with such a bad service they are making me buy my way out of my contract, but seeing as i would be paying up to 15 pounds extra each month as i would go over there cap, its worth while, also the fact that there service to me has been unstable , there customer service is shocking, i even had a email to me stating that a certain customer service assistant wasnt sure if something he did would solve the problem i had, as he had very little fibre training..
just goes to show plusnet have jumped in, yet havent invested in proper training.. or proper equipment either, going by the ammount of drop outs i had !!!
i think your other question has allready been answered ref speeds, BT own the FTTC lines, and they also install there much better, more stable equipment in the exchanges, which give you faster upload and download that plusnet can offer...
get out whilst you can thats all i will say, you will rue the day you joined this lot..

JEEZ, i didn't realise it was that bad, i wonder will this post get edited ?.
tim
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is total rubbish.
The equipment in the exchange is absolutely the same whether the broadband (fibre or otherwise) is supplied by Plusnet or BT.
The only time the equipment in the exchange changes is if you go to a LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) supplier
Note - we do not edit posts unless they break the Forum Rules or there is a formatting error