cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Internet Connection - "The DNS server isn’t responding"

Dinsy

Unstable Internet Connection - "The DNS server isn’t responding"

Hi all,
I have been having issues with my home broadband since mid-September. I am repeatedly seeing connection drop outs with the internet connectivity light on the router going out on the Plusnet 2704n. Opening Google Chrome gives me the error “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET”, and Windows Network Diagnostics finds the problem “The DNS server isn’t responding”. The connection then returns fairly soon after, but is very unstable (returning for a minute or so before dropping again).
It doesn't always happen, but seems to be occurring more frequently lately with periods of instability lasting thirty minutes to an hour.
Please advise on any potential solutions for this issue, as it is starting to disrupt my work which heavily relies on access to the internet.
Many thanks in advance,
Dinsy
7 REPLIES 7
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Unstable Internet Connection - "The DNS server isn’t responding"

That sounds like a fault with your line, or with your Plusnet service.    I suggest first point call would be to phone Plusnet, generally the answer pretty quickly.  They can check your settings, and also carry out a test on the line between you and the exchange.  The phone number is well hidden on their web site, but is 0800 432 0200
Which exact type of Plusnet service do you have?  I'm assuming normal old-school ADSL where you have a microfilter plugged into your phone master socket, and the router goes into the microfilter.  Does the Broadband light flash or stay steady when the Internet light goes off?
Depending on how familiar you are with the technology, it might be worth checking everything is plugged in where it should be, no dodgy phone extension cabling or extension leads for example.  To take other things out of the equation you could take the front plate off your master socket, and put the micro filter connection into the test jack socket behind.  Guide is here ...
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
Tony
mathewlisett
Grafter

your not the only one, ive been having issue for a long time and my disconnections ie dns failures have been happening literally every 30 minutes.
i have a guy from plusnet coming next week to see if any new issues (as i had way too many errors on the line weeks ago) and see if further work needs doing
Dinsy

@aesmith Thanks for the number, will give them a call tomorrow and see what's going on. My connection is so unstable it's ridiculous and seems to be getting worse.
I'm on ADSL, and will try plugging into test socket, although no sure it will make any difference as it's the only socket in the flat (unless the sockets in the other flats count).
When the connection drops the internet light goes out completely, all other lights remain on and don't seem to flash.
@mathewlisett Don't know if it's a good thing or not that I'm not the only one suffering from this problem. Hope the guy can help you with your problem though 🙂
mathewlisett
Grafter

well its a good thing because at least we are not going mad, and with plusnet telling me there were no faults being reported, it helps to know others are having the same issue.
ive had dns issues all day
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you think it's a DNS problem put the Google DNS server - 8.8.8.8 - in to your PC's configuration.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mathewlisett
Grafter

yeah did that when plusnets servers went down weeks ago, and i simply couldnt just do that because a LOAD of sites simply wont open on googles  dns
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't worry about DNS issues at this stage.  If the line drops you won't be able reach any DNS servers at all.  When it's working you should be perfectly fine with the Plusnet DNS servers. 
Or it should work equally well with other public DNS servers such as Google (8.8.8.8) or Open DNS.  The only difference is that for services where Plusnet host local servers to optimise delivery, using another DNS might mean you don't hit the Plusnet cache.