cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally fed up with ADSL2+

Neondaze
Grafter

Totally fed up with ADSL2+

I have decided that ADSL2+ is so erratic that the best thing I can do is go back to ADSL2 (Max). At least that way I can guarantee a download speed of approx 6Mb/s all day instead of what I currently get which is: -
Monday to Friday AM until about 11 - 16Mb/s
Monday to Friday 11:00 -16:00 steadily dropping download speed
Monday to Friday 16:00 - to some time following morning - between 1 and 2 Mb/s
Weekends between 1 - 3 Mb/s - If I am lucky a bit higher.
This makes downloads, video streaming and gaming frustrating and erratic.
I have in the past for a small number of months received a continuous d/l speed of 15-16 Mb/s but more often than not it is as described above.
My router is continuously synced and always shows a sync d/l speed of between 19500kb/s and 20500 kb/s ( I am very close to the exchange).
Never had any of these issues on ADSL2
So has anyone ever switched back and found it to be a good decision?
8 REPLIES 8
itsme
Grafter

Re: Totally fed up with ADSL2+

You mean ADSL1 which use different pipes.  ADSL2 and ADSL2+ use the WBC network.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Given that you've had a line fault for almost three months it's not surprising that your ADSL2+ service has been somewhat erratic (phone faults will nearly always have a detrimental impact on your broadband service).
If you're still having problems now that it's been resolved I'd recommend you run a few BT Speedtests and let us know the results.
Neondaze
Grafter

Hi Mand,
Thank you for your reply.
I am glad that you mentioned the line fault. It is because of the ongoing line fault that I didn't raise the speed issue earlier (although this is not the first time the issue had occurred or been reported).
About that line fault, which by the way dragged on for as you say nearly three months. When the BT engineer finally arrived to install a new cable, in the new pipe that was installed at BT's request, he advised me that my line was working correcting, that there was no fault and that the line did not need to be replaced. He would therefore be closing the fault. You can therefore see from this statement that my erratic speed has nothing to do with the fault that existed, as there was no fault.
I mentioned that I had raised a ticket in the past (June 2009) concerning erratic line speeds, but to be honest I didn't get anywhere with that. Funnily the problem seemed to resolve itself after about 3 months. Now it is back. I run speed tests every day, in  the morning and again in the evening. The speed tests show what download speeds I am actually getting. BT speedtests are great for showing what I can get and I ran one earlier this week (which I have attached). Whenever I run BT speedtests they consistently show me similar information (refer to copies attached to my fault raised June 2009). I also include the current stats from my router.
I appreciate that d/l speeds will vary according to time of day and the number of concurrent users, but I think a variation of over 13mb/s is extremely wild and also not acceptable.
As a matter of interest how do I find out what gateway I am connected through as I read about gateways on the forum but don't see where I can find this information.
You will appreciate that while I am happy receiving d/l speeds in the region of 16mb/s in the early morning, as I am normally at work during the day the speed I get in the evening, when I actually use the internet is what is importantly to me. Unfortunately evening d/l speeds of about 1.5mb/s is not exactly going to keep me happy.
I would be grateful if you could look into this. If I raise a ticket I will have to go through the same tests as last June -i.e. checking cabling; master socket; router; filters; using a different router/filter; connecting direct to the master socket. I understand why these tests are necessary, but there has been no change to the internal cabling or equipment. Also the nature of the problem is so specific that I would suggest that it is not caused internal to my property.
Many Thanks
Kevin
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Neondaze

As a matter of interest how do I find out what gateway I am connected through as I read about gateways on the forum but don't see where I can find this information.

Click the link below
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Neondaze
Grafter

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the link. I actually have tried that before but each time I get the following response: -

Which gateway
You are currently connected to the "unknown" gateway.
The tool currently could not identify your gateway, it does not mean that anything is wrong

Which is why I decided to ask in my post.
Best
Kevin
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Ah ok
If you open up command prompt
Type
tracert www.plus.net
The second line should tell you which gateway you are connected to Smiley
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Neondaze
Grafter

Hi Mike,
Did that. From the eight lines of info, how do I tell which gateway I am on?
Thx
Kevin
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
As per Mike's reply the second line will tell you what gateway you're connected to.
With regard the fault, I'm happy to raise a fault for you but our suppliers insist on those checks being done, so unless you're happy to accept the risk of a £144 call out charge if the problem is under your control you'd still need to do them.
Nothing may have changed, but ADSL and telephony equipment can deteriorate over time.