cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is beyond ridiculous! Speed drops!

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Re: This is beyond ridiculous! Speed drops!

Thank you. Hopefully this brings it back to normal 😕 fingers crosed
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Once that completes you'll need the current line speed reported by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed to update to match the Ip Profile reported by a BT speed test before you see the effect.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: spraxyt
It looks to me like you are on a 21CN WBC connection but connecting using the ADSL1 protocol.

I am curious to know how you figure that out.  Is it possible to get such a high upstream speed on ADSL1 protocol?

Yes, on 21CN as Matt commented uncapped upstream is available on both ADSL1 and ADSL2/2+. Unusual having it on ADSL1 though.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Thanks, Spraxyt and others.
Sorry to but in again but if you are on ADSL1 on 21CN do you get the IP Profile immediately tracking your downstream sync rate at a fixed percentage thereof.  Or are you stuck on the old system where upward changes are not immediately tracked and the IP Profile values are quantized?  That was quite a curse and I am glad to be rid of it.   
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's the 21CN (not the ADSL1/2) that determines how the IP Profile is calculated so it is by the 88.2% method and instant on each sync.
Another difference from 20CN ADSL1 is that the diagnostic speed test runs the upload section - we've used that fact a few times in the past to confirm if someone is on 20CN ADSL1 or 21CN ADSL1.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ashrafmiah93,
Hoping the regrade has made a difference? It completed this morning so I hope there's been an improvement.
Peanutza

Matt,
I am really impressed by the level and quality of your support.
Regards
Warren
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

after giving a few days after the change the problem still seems to occur. Yesterday at one point my speeds shot up to 13mb which shocked me since bt speed test website says my line is capable of max 7mb 😕 this was obviously a sudden speed boost for a short period of time. Speeds have continued to drop really badly for me again even after the adsl+2
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have you tried a different router?
its highly possible yours is acting up,
you mention that your connection speed changes to unusably low speeds yet your router stats are suggesting the connection has been stable for days, are you using some speed test website to determine there is a problem?
you mentioned that you had problems with blocked ports for ages then suddenly didn't and now again do, that means either you changed something on the router or its somehow changing what it does on its own, if its the latter then that would indicate its developing a fault.
lastly you don't mention what router your using
but clearly its got a problem with errors suggesting something isn't setup properly in your flat.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Im using the default router which was given to me by Plusnet the Thompson one. There are selected games that i cant join my friends on due to port issues this has always been the problem. Ive had the same exact router model with O2 in my previous home which is 2 flats away from me (read previous post about my moving homes). When i changed my package to unlimited (i was previously on the 60gb a month package) the first month was perfect. Then after i get really bad speed drops as low as 0.3mb. This really frustrates me when playing online and now im worried with the release of Grand Theft Auto 5 i won't be able to enjoy online because of this problem. I dont know if the router could be an issue im not sure 😕 . I'm not asking for high speed Internet 4-5mb is perfect for me what I don't want it sudden drops that makes my online gaming laggy and not enjoyable. I've been very loyal to plusnet I've had many issues but i haven't left yet even though i say i will. When the service is running properly its by far one of the best ISPs the customer service the constant help on the forums it's fantastic.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Please lock ignore this i meant to reply to my new ones! SORRY