Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Broadband Problem Now?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strange Broadband Problem Now?

Working fine earlier today. Nothing changed. Router shows still unbroken connection. Internet check all green ticks.
Emails come up ssl problem. Live bookmarks fail to load. A lot of web pages fail to load but also a lot load OK.
A passing short lived problem I hope.
5 REPLIES 5
billnotben
Community Veteran

Re: Strange Broadband Problem Now?

Changed Gateways and the problem is now gone.
What was the problem?
mikeb
Rising Star

[AOL] Me too [/AOL]
Don't know what's going on but it happened at almost exactly 1600 hours here. Everything working reasonably fine all day then all iplayer downloads in progress suddenly stopped and wouldn't restart. At the same time, many (but by no means all) websites refused to load. These include thinkbroadband, various speedtest sites and many, many others. However some (most notably bbc strangely enough) still worked and the audio I'd been streaming all afternoon from elsewhere also continued to work as did the associated website.  2 hours later much the same it appears. PN websites load. BBC loads. A few others load. Most don't. Terminating and restarting PPP appears to resolve the obvious problem however there's clearly still something more than a bit odd going on somewhere ...
PS: Gateway was 195.166.128.184 [lo0-central10.pcl-ag03.plus.net] and had been in use since (BT ?) engineering issues forced a reboot around 0600 hours yesterday. Said engineering work also gave me yet another 3db loss in SNR from what it historically has always been into the bargain.  That was very nice and gratefully received ... NOT  Sad

A sudden case of a half (if not mostly) dead gateway at the start of peak time that was sadly not detected by my extensive monitoring of the connection status. In other circumstances it would have resulted in loss of usable connection for several weeks if not months unless PN could and would have done something remotely to resolve the issue.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi guys
You were both on a gateway that's been having issues tonight. I can see your now both on a different gateway now so it should all be working.
The actual cause is under investigation at the moment and we'll provide a update as soon as we can
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
billnotben
Community Veteran

The biggest failing is Plusnet's inability to pass up to date fault information to the customer.
This is still a problem that the customer is often left to solve on their own.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Thanks for posting back that all is well.
We do try to keep customers updated with problems. Our service status pages are the best place for such information. We did post in the morning about your particular problem in the hope that people saw it that needed to. We appreciate that not everybody had though, but circumstances meant not much warning could be provided.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team