cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed goes from 6.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps - Help

kar999
Grafter

Re: Speed goes from 6.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps - Help

CS seem unfazed by this as profile has increased to 5500 and to monitor speed... which are still 1.8Mbps. I'm not convinved.

Router seems content to carry on showing the false SNR margin so I'm not sure if a reboot would clear that. I wont try just yet and i'lll give it another 72 hours..... again!!

itsme
Grafter

It's not false just bad reporting for -1.
From Kitz
The SNR Margin is the difference between the actual SNR and the SNR required to run at a specific speed. For example, if your line needs 35dB of SNR to run at 8Mbps, and the actual line SNR is 41dB, then the SNR Margin would be 6dB.
Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm#ixzz0iu9tWbqa

Using the above example your modem instead of working with a SNR of 35dB it's working at 34dB
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
Just to chip in briefly. I've had a look at the account in case there's anything we can do here that might help. I'm positive an SNR reset wouldn't help things along here. However I can see no reason why the line profile should not reset after another 72 hours to be closer to the 4544kbps maximum stable rate. If you don't see any improvement just let us know and we'll do some more detailed checks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kar999
Grafter

Hi Adam,
The profile etc. is back in the doldrums now after resetting my router as instructed yesterday.
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 19 dB 13 dB
Attenuation 23 dB 23 dB
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1840 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2784 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
I've had SNR of 6DB before but 15db seems the norm now. I did briefly get a max of 6.5Mbps speed downstream and more importantly a fairly stable period of a few weeks of around 4-5 Mbps, which is plenty for what I need.
Stuck back below 2mbps is a waste of space (and my money!) for BBC i-player on Freesat which is what started all this off when it became activated on my Humax before Christmas.

kar999
Grafter

I think I need to escalate this fault as I'm still seeing no improvement and the speed has been up and down more than a whores drawers, as my grandmother would have said  Roll_eyes .
The router accidentally got turned off at the socket, albeit for 5 seconds, last night and it resynced to 6752 (or similar) but it's back down to 2592 by this morning with a profile of 2000. It remains at that now
Leaving the router permanently on isnt always going to be an option anyway. Eon are working on the power lines, so we have been notified of no electricity for a few hours one day next week. Living out in the sticks with overhead power lines, (but  only 1.4km from the exchange)  we are also prone to regular power outages albeit sometimes only for a few seconds particularly in the summer when storms are about.. Those will reset the router for sure.
Anyone know the process to get this fault escalated please as the ticket has been open for 3 months now?