cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed for a few weeks - Profile Issue?

StingA
Grafter

Slow speed for a few weeks - Profile Issue?

Hello
About 2 months ago one of my greyhounds bumbled into my router and knocked a cabled out (the one from the modem to the wall socket) this caused my connection to pop up and down about five times in quick succession. I knew BT / Plusnet would cap my line for a couple of weeks thinking it was a line error. Only till know have I noticed that the max speed I can get is still just under 4000kbps. - To be fair it hasn't been an issue because my main net usage is gaming, so being on pro I get nice pings and 4000kpbs is more than enough to game on. Before this happened I used to get between 6-7mbps on average.
Plusnet have my profile set to 4000kbps, whereas BT have it set to 7150kbps. Is my profile stuck? Do I need to raise a ticket for this or can one of the forum guys fix it for me?
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2413 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
23 REPLIES 23
StingA
Grafter

Re: Slow speed for a few weeks - Profile Issue?

I got plusnet to nudge my profile today, so now they both match at 7150 but the speeds are still poor, can anyone help please?
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1347 Kbps
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

I got plusnet to nudge my profile today, so now they both match at 7150 but the speeds are still poor, can anyone help please?

You will need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to your Plusnet profile to take effect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

StingA
Grafter

Sorry, forgot to mention that I restarted the router after doing a speed test first and seeing it was poor.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked the status of your exchange? The first BT speed test is so far below the 4000 profile you had, and with you being on Pro, I think there's some other factor involved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
StingA
Grafter

Exchange is fine Sad
Speeds seem ok now, although the speed test needle is extremely jerky. The only thing I have done since the earlier posts this evening is play some TF2. I am concerned because the speeds earlier were very poop
My latest speeds:
Today 22:38 6077 kbps (760kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
Today 22:11 5445 kbps (681kB/s) 377 kbps (47.1kB/s)
Today 22:09 5696 kbps (712kB/s) 369 kbps (46.1kB/s)
So looking much better, guess will have to wait and see tomorrow.
Also; my router stats:

Downstream  Upstream
8128                          448
Noise margin (dB)
12.5 23.0
Output power (dBm)
11.8 11.9
Attenuation (dB)
8.0 5.0
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A minor point - your downstream noise margin seems very low for the reported attenuation and speed
StingA
Grafter

Hey
Ive had a look at a screenshot of my router stats in June2009 (had it saved on my ftp from when I was having trouble with Tiscali) and the noise margins are extremely similar to those I have now.
On average I do get about 1 disconnect a day, but I have always had for as long as I can remember, never thought anything of it. Normally it occurs during the day, becuase when I get home my router says im connected, but i'm not.
Is there anything I can do to improve my noise margin? I already use an ADSLnation faceplate. I live in a village and my nearest exchange is 200meters away.
Dan
StingA
Grafter

again tonight, speeds aren't great, when doing speed test it takes a good few seconds to get over the 384k on the down stream, like its stuck, then the needle goes back high and slowly back down Sad

Speeds were sucky all night from 20:00 onwards, but just done a few more speed tests now and they are coming through at

I just don't understand this Sad
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just curious. Undecided
If you do a test on the BT speedtester (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) does that give you a good result when My Broadband Speed gives a poor one? Do you by any chance access the Internet via the Manchester RAS?
David
David
StingA
Grafter

Hey David
I live about 10miles from King's Lynn in Norfolk, (although may I quickly add I wasn't born in Norfolk and have only lived here a few years) so I don't think it would connect via Manchester.
I will do a bt speedtester tonight along with a normal speed test when my connection starts to go slow.
I did both this morning and it was great, also before I went to bed last night it was great too. The sort of speeds I used to get all the time.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6320 Kbps
Additional Information:
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 7150 Kbps
StingA
Grafter

I opened a support ticket regarding what appears to be a drop in performance during peak times, I wanted to post the goings on so far incase the forum boffins could sugest anything...
So that we can further investigate this issue we will need you to run the BT Speedtester service, so that we can confirm the speed of the physical connection.
Details on how to run this can be found here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml
This test needs to be run 3 times, preferably one test in the morning, one in the afternoon and a final test as late in the evening as possible.
Once you have done this, if you could reply to this ticket with the results of the 3 tests, we can then get this investigated further and if necessary, escalated to BT.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us either online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 if we can be of any further assistance.
Kind regards,
---------------
Your comment 12:17am, Friday 7th May 2010
Hey
I have done various tests throughout the day, although in the evening during peak time I could not get the bt speedtester to work until later on (I still did mybroadband speed test), although it still showed a slowdown in speed. I suspect that there is an unreported problem at my exchange, as it was congested in March and speeds outside peak time are fine.. The slow down during peak time wasnt as bad as the 1.5mg downstream I was getting last night, but I suspect Thursdays is a quieter day.
----------
7am This morning;
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6320 Kbps
Additional Information:
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 7150 Kbps

-------
12:30pm
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6253 Kbps
Additional Information:

-----------------------
17:30
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5682 Kbps
Additional Information:

----------------------
21:40 (BT Speed test more like 22:30)
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3529 Kbps
Additional Information:

----------------
00:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6180 Kbps
Additional Information:

-----
Dear Mr Barnes,
Thank you for your query. and for providing the speed tests.
We do need a stable connection for at least 72 hours for your speed to stabilise, currently we show you have been connected for approximate a day and a half.
Please leave a couple of days for the speed to stabilise before doing any further speed tests. If you still have a problem after this time, please do not hesitate to come back to us.
Kind regards,
-------
Your comment  10:23am, Friday 7th May 2010
I will give it a go over the weekend but I can't remember the last time I was constantly connected for over 3 days.
-----
So yeah, I'll give it a go on Sunday/Monday I guess, hopefully my connection would have stabilsed but most probably my connection would have reset its self by then  Sad Anyone got any ideas?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

I will give it a go over the weekend but I can't remember the last time I was constantly connected for over 3 days.

As Jim indicated earlier, there's something not quite right with your connection. With a downstream attenuation of 8db you have a very short line to the exchange and whilst you are synching at the max 8128k you would expect a better SNR than the 12.5 db you are getting. You also should really not be getting any disconnects on a line that short. Take my line for example, I have an attenuation of 28db, it synch at 8128k with an SNR of about 8db , but it doesn't disconnect ( except when I turn off the router when I go on holiday!). What make/model router are you using ? and have you tried a different one , maybe the router is faulty ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

StingA
Grafter

I guess it could be my router, I don't have a spare one to try, but even if there is something wrong with my line its funny that it slows down so much, just in the evenings.
At lunchtime today my SNR was 10.5 on the downstream, right now its sitting at 11.8.
Ive been doing 4-5 speed tests at various points in the day, all have been 5.5-6.5meg until this evening

I have a filtered ADSL nation face plate, is it worth trying a BTIplate? or do they do the same thing?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StingA,
You're now showing as having an ongoing connection for 4 days and your connection profile is showing as 7150 on our side - does this match with what you're seeing? Hoping that things have settled themselves down for you now.