Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing through brick walls

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Seeing through brick walls

Actually, I'm sure I've seen some of these homeplugs with either a USB or ethernet connection to the homeplug.
It's perhaps possible that a USB modem could be used instead of a router - if you insisted on such a setup.
Don't know if BT would be happy about the power supply though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

Myabe, although i would have thught it pointless when you consider the small amount of speed USB can handle compared to ethernet
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: pcoventry76
... when you consider the small amount of speed USB can handle compared to ethernet

Well, the specification for USB2 creates 480Mbps bandwidth on the USB port, per controller.
Seeing as the majority of home users would be on a 100Mbps (duplex) connection, that still leaves 280Mbps on the bus free, even under max load Smiley
I do agree if you were talking about Gigabit ethernet tho Smiley
B.
JasonC
Dabbler

I use a mix of Homeplugs and 802.11n at home.
I was an "early adopter" on the home plug (or whatever it was called then), with some "one4all" units a good few years ago that I couldn't get to work.
This put me off but some colleagues reported good results in recent years so i went for the 200*Meg  (*~80Meg) Netgear ones. They are excellent, but the design is flawed. They are so large they overlap the socket switch, so you haveto position them carefully to work. There is a brand with a fly lead from the plug to the unit which makes much more sense.
I've not tried it, but I did consider putting a wireless access point on the Homeplug so I could extend the wireless coverage in my house.
However, since putting in the 802.11n router I've not needed to.