Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled WiFi Access Parental control easily bypassed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Scheduled WiFi Access Parental control easily bypassed

I mentioned about the configuration above, but one step at a time!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: oobiedoobie
it appears the router has no internal RAM type memory or internal power source to store any settings - that or if there was one, the battery was flat when it arrived.

Most embedded devices which require storage of non-volatile settings use something called EEPROM, which was the predecessor to FLASH memory.
EEPROM is non-volatile, does not require a battery, and are usually a serial data device which only uses two circuit pins (sometimes one) to perform all it's reads and writes. Therefore the non-volatile memory you have looked for could be a chip with only three or four pins,  or the EEPROM memory could be have been fabricated as part of the CPU running the router.  
Generally EEPROM does not simply lose it's memory - unless it has endured hundreds or thousands of write cycles (which is unlikely), and they tend not to have a 'clear memory' connection - so you can probably rule that out from your investigation.
Clearing the memory usually involves the CPU writing a set of default values for each setting, to the EEPROM, under the control of the firmware (embedded software).
Memory circuits which use a battery for backup, usually do so because there is an additional design requirement to include a real-time clock.  The RTC chip needs the battery to provide a trickle of power to maintain an accurate ~32KHz crystal which counts the time, and therefore it makes sense to use the battery to maintain both the clock and the memory.  The disadvantage of batteries, is that they only last six to ten years, and then need replacing. EEPROMs never need replacing under normal usage.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, I'm going to try and be clever and explain this in two ways - where you need to click on something on a menu, I'll precede the menu item with a > sign. I'll also give a direct link to where you should get, in case you don't get to the correct page for some reason.
Go to https://portal.plus.net/ and login. On the left hand menu under My Account, select >Connection settings then >Automatic Hardware Set-up .
Now Disable Auto Setup on the Automatic Hardware Set-up page.
Back on the >Connection settings page whilst you are here, you may as well check that your Broadband Firewall is set to Low, select >Broadband Firewall - note this is not the Firewall on the Modem/Router - this stops a lot of unwanted traffic reaching the modem/router in the first place.
Now, if you think your son may have discovered (or already knows) your Broadband password it may be a good idea to change that whilst you are here. (Note, this is not the Password that you login to the modem/router with). This Password is used on the Broadband Connection page in the router BUT it is also your Account password (the one you used to login to the Member Centre) and your main Plusnet email address password if you set it up (so you'd need to use the new one if logging into webmail or change it on any email client used on Plusnet's email address). If you wish to change it, select >Account details on the LH menu, then >Change Password . The Change your password page will prompt you for your old password and the new one. Do not choose a dictionary word, or something with birthdate, house number etc or a name, or something your son might guess, but one that you can either remember or can make discrete note somewhere.
That's all in the Member Centre, click Logout on the top right hand side of the page.
Now you need to login to the Modem/Router. At the bottom of the default landing page, select 5.4 >Advanced Options and login.
Now first, on the LH menu, select >Technicolor Gateway then >Configuration below that, then >Configure on the top RH side.
Under System Configuration, towards the bottom, select >Disabled from the drop down box for Web Browsing Interception: and click >Apply
(you will now no longer be direct to the modem/router home page if the connection drops for any reason).
On the LH menu, now select >Broadband Connection and then in the middle of the screen > under Internet  >View more.....
You should be on the Internet Overview page
Now click >Disconnect in the box. You should now see boxes with your Username and Password. Put the cursor in the Password box and delete the old password. Below this box - untick the Remember Password box. Now enter your new Password and click >Connect
You should now see a screen where at the bottom of Connection Information it shows "Remember Password: No"
Note this action does not affect your sync with the exchange, it merely disconnects (and reconnects) the PPP Internet session from the exchange to Plusnet.
You can now click Logout on the top RH side.
OK this should sort the immediate problem of your son powering off/on or resetting the modem/router - if he tries it, he'll have no Internet connection at all. If you have any questions about this stage please ask away and I'll endeavour to answer your queries tonight.
Once you've got this far OK, we'll deal with the other configuration aspects as the next step.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I suggest NOT doing that until at least the weekend !
As an amazingly unlucky coincidence Plusnet are doing maintenance on the TR-069 and password systems !
Planned Network Maintenance Friday 19th December 10am-4pm
What does it affect?
Our TR069 Platform (automated router setup)
How long will it take?
Around 6 hours.
What does the work involve?
We're making some changes to parts of our broadband network.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Possibly. The changes taking place may lead to automated router setup and any changes to passwords not taking effect.
We would advise customers to avoid doing either during the maintenance window.
Is there anything else I need to know?
If you're connecting your router to a broadband-enabled line for the first time you may need to enter your broadband username and password manually. Please refer to the set up guide that you will have received with your router

Anotherone
Champion

Doh indeed. Thanks Plusnet for plenty of advanced warning - not  Angry    Although if it were done tonight, no problem  Wink  your choice oobiedoobie.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Doh indeed. Thanks Plusnet for plenty of advanced warning - not  Angry    Although if it were done tonight, no problem  Wink  your choice oobiedoobie.

Quote from: purleigh
Can I suggest NOT doing that until at least the weekend !

I'll wait thanks for the warning and continued support. I've only had the router since the beginning of December - is it worth getting an exchange of router?
If this was any other product I wouldn't be trying to fix something I bought new with the expectation it would work properly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this was any other product I wouldn't be trying to fix something I bought new with the expectation it would work properly.

I know what you mean !
Over the past ten years, I must have tried a dozen different routers, and NONE of them actually did everything that I needed.
If I made a list of my top ten 'must have' requirements, when the routers arrived, generally only eight out of ten features actually worked properly.
In the end my only solution was to physically build my own, install a Linux firewall/router, and configure it to do what I required.
Fortunately this worked a treat, and I now have an epic router with performance far better than any router I could have bought for the same cost.

is it worth getting an exchange of router?

Unfortunately the Technicolor you have, is not one of the routers that I've owned, and I can't help you much with specifics.
It would be useful if one of the Technicolor 'experts' here could suggest some tests to help identify whether your device is actually faulty, before you try a load of configuration changes.
At the moment I'm not convinced that it has been identified whether your device is faulty, or if the loss of configuration behaviour you are seeing is typical for this model.
Perhaps you could write out a concise list of repeatable steps that trigger your router's configuration loss, and see if anyone else following those steps suffers the same problems.  Doing that should identify whether it is just your device, or is typical, it would also allow others to suggest any ideas to improve the situation.
If it is found to be faulty, then there is the other option of using a completely different router and hopefully not having a repeat of your problems.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm a great believer in saving (multiple) copies of configuration files - it is the quickest and safest way to get back to a known working configuration after any miss-hap; especially after a factory reset Shocked Obviously, if a saved configuration fails when tested, the associated file gets deleted, pronto Wink
Perhaps I'm unusual in that I always change basic configuration items to suit me and suppress external controls (auto config etc): SSID, WPA2 keys, passwords, LAN subnets (even netmasks if not requiring MS Windows access Roll_eyes ) and DNS entries amongst others!
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anotherone
Champion

No you aren't unusual Phil, I do similar things.
Quote from: purleigh

At the moment I'm not convinced that it has been identified whether your device is faulty, or if the loss of configuration behaviour you are seeing is typical for this model.

Neither am I convinced at the moment that your modem/router is faulty oobiedoobie.  What is the case, is that it hasn't done what you expected it to do, and that is more likely to be because something wasn't set correctly. 
........... I've only had the router since the beginning of December - is it worth getting an exchange of router?

If it were to turn out that it is faulty,  Plusnet will send you a replacement FOC. We will know in due course - It's worth just remembering that customisable settings will not survive a factory reset on any (modem/)router whereas they should survive a power off if set correctly, but saving configuration files is always a good idea.
The TG582n is a very good general purpose modem/router, with a Broadcom chipset that performs very well and handles most lines with no problem. The GUI provides a few basic configuration settings that are adequate for most purposes, however it is capable of much more complex configuration using Telnet commands and the average user needs guidance with this - even more knowledgeable users struggle with some aspects (I know I'm not alone), however there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and a solution to most things can be found.
If you follow all the steps I've provided above in reply #32 will will be able to test whether or not your TG582n is doing what may be expected of it.
However, to complete some basic testing, we need to know what sort of line your TG582n is coping with. Neither I nor anyone else should be willing to tell you to reboot/resync/power off etc at any old time without that knowledge, especially considering the recent history. That is one reason for asking you to please post the TG582n Full DSL stats (you'll get a login screen first if not already logged in). When you have that page displayed, just highlight the stats (including the uptime) using your cursor and then copy and then paste into a post.
If you post back with any queries on the steps provided, we can move on from there.
Anotherone
Champion

Forgot to add to previous posts, when you login to it, can you tell us what Software Version (firmware) it has please.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

That is one reason for asking you to please post the TG582n Full DSL stats (you'll get a login screen first if not already logged in). When you have that page displayed, just highlight the stats (including the uptime) using your cursor and then copy and then paste into a post.
If you post back with any queries on the steps provided, we can move on from there.

To start with - here's the data requested -
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:10:36
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,192 / 9,723
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 347.39 / 2.15
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.2 / 27.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.6 / 6.8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 801
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

As for firmware
Software Release: 10.2.2.B

I grabbed a page which included my serial number so I've cut that out - where would I find this? (I'm familiar in most commercial software of how to find this but not with hardware.
Anotherone
Champion

Good morning. I'm not absolutely clear on what your serial number query applies to - but there's no specific serial number for the firmware if that's what you meant, just the modem/router and you were correct not to post it.. That Firmware you have is fine.
Just a brief mention of the stats - whoops. Your line should be capable of giving almost double the current speed, the current speed is almost certainly a "banded" speed which will have resulted from the exchange DLM responding to all the recent reboots and power off's etc. so it will be a case of proceed with caution at this point. There is a method of doing a graceful Disconnect which I'll explain when we get to it which should prevent DLM from seeing the loss of sync as a dropped connection. The procedure above in reply #32 doesn't involve a resync in itself, but when it comes to testing we shall need to do one, when I will explain what to do.
From the Uptime, I notice you will probably have recently switched on - has the TG582n retained all the Wireless settings you last did?
Edit: we could do with just being aware of what the Line ILQ is at present, if at Red or Amber. Hopefully one of the CRT guys can do an xDSL Status check.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Good morning. I'm not absolutely clear on what your serial number query applies to - but there's no specific serial number for the firmware if that's what you meant, just the modem/router and you were correct not to post it.. That Firmware you have is fine.

I edited the post once I realised I had also posted from a page which gave the serial number for the router.
From the Uptime, I notice you will probably have recently switched on - has the TG582n retained all the Wireless settings you last did?
Edit: we could do with just being aware of what the Line ILQ is at present, if at Red or Amber. Hopefully one of the CRT guys can do an xDSL Status check.

Sorry I'm usually not online for long - the wireless settings are usually reset as far as I can see every time I turn the router on. I have to reset the wifi schedule on a daily basis but if I turn the router off after doing this - it's back to square one when I turn the router and computer on later in the day.
********edit***********
I'm wondering if someone didn't pick up my router password yesterday before I realised and edited my post yesterday - it took 6 attempts to log onto the Technicolor router... Never had that problem before - I'm almost at the stage of saying good luck to whoever may have it - I certainly can't get the damned thing to accept a changed password so I'd be impressed if someone else managed to do it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Hi,
So for clarity, you are looking at the settings here - http://192.168.1.254/wlan_tod.lp?be=0&l0=4&l1=2 ?
Have you tried looking at the device by device settings I referred to in an earlier post?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Ok oobiedoobie, there may be some confusion here. Apart from just confirming the page above for the Wireless settings that Townman has mentioned, forget those previous posts and any device settings he has mentioned, we are going to need to start from square one here to discover if this thing is faulty.
First we need to clarify that you are not getting confused between the TG582n login password and your Broadband password they are 2 separate things. Forget changing the TG582n password for now, in any event, it's not immediately relevant. I'll post this so you don't waste further time on that and then I'll post suggestions of what to do next.
Edit: For the record, all of us that have posted here so far (IIRC) are using the TG582n and have not had the problems to which you refer.