cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retired product update?

David_W
Rising Star

Retired product update?

I posted a while ago asking if I'd be able to stay on Premier 1 (20Gb one, not the new 80Gb one) when my exchange moves (sometime in 2023) to ADSL2, the response was "we don't know yet", I remember another post asking for an update (which I can't find) with the answer being "we'll announce something shortly".  Even the announcement for ADSL2 states:
17. I’ve been a customer for some time.  Will I get an upgrade to ADSL2+?
Provided your exchange has been enabled, certain older products will be included in our upgrade programme of batch migrations. We’ll give you more information about these plans shortly.
That's October so I think shortly is up Tongue any news on which retired products will be able to take advantage of ADSL2 yet?
12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Retired product update?

I'm 5'4", shortly can last a long time!
Seriously, PN are not in the habit of changing your product even if new technology takes over, if you get ADSL2+ and do not request a product change then you will likely get the best of both worlds, they're pretty decent that way.
I took part in the ADSL2+ trial and subsequently changed to 'unlimited', I now have ADSL2+ Unlimited (never offered as a product combination), needless to say I am happy with my PN product.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
David_W
Rising Star

I don't want my product changed, that's the issue.  I *want* to stay on Premier 1, and I'm sure other people out there are happy with the product they are on (which are no longer available) and also don't want to switch products.  PN were supposed to announce which retired products they will allow to switch to ADSL2+ without being forced to switch to a new product.  Premier Option 1 is *perfect* for my needs, it's 20Gb/month, different bandwidth shaping too (my ADSL1 will out perform ADSL2 at certain times of day, by twice as much).  If I go over 20Gb my line speed is drastically reduced, I have no reason (or desire) to switch to any of the current products, even the previous "Unlimited" package wasn't as useful to me as Premier Option 1.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi dgwebb,
that is actually my point.  PN do net generally force any customers to give up old products that suit, even if new technology provides an improvement to your product I expect that PN will allow you to retain the product you have if it suits you, you could end up like me on an obsolete product with up-to-date speed improvements retaining the featrures you currently value.
In my experience, this is the difference (despite recent criticism) between PN and most other ISPs.
I hope you continue to enjoy the product you have for as long as you feel it is the best for you.  I am not aware of  PlusNet ever forcing existing customers to change from ;legacy' products', if you're happy then stick with it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
steve99
Dabbler

I know what you mean, I'm on the same product and my exchange was switched over recently. I have seen a big jump in performance as I've been stuck on 1mb/s connection speeds for years and right now my router is syncing at 2.5x that.
I stuck with the account (even though it costs more) for the same reasons you gave.
I've checked on an adsl2+ estimator with my routers current sync results, which are:
down speed: 2560000 (has been as high as 3100000 but was unusable)
snr: 5 but has been up to 9 during the night.
loop att: 55 (used to be 59 at 1Mb/s)
and it gave me a result of a sync between 2.0 and 4.0 Mb/s which is just about where I am now. I've checked a few loop attenuation curves that compare adsl max and adsl2+ and I'm right at the point where the two curves join so switching wouldn't improve my situation that much.
I use plusnet at a work site and I'll be interested to see how fast that will go as that exchange is due to change in March and that sync's at over 6.5Mb/s
David_W
Rising Star

So PN are switching people onto ADSL2+ no matter which account?  You don't have to switch to a "current" product for ADSL2 any longer?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Not AFAIK, people are been moved over to 21CN but on ADSL
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
when my exchange moves (sometime in 2023) to ADSL2,

Did you mean 2023 ? ?
I doubt if we will be using ADSL of any description by then ?
David_W
Rising Star

It *should* have been 2011, March, but Samknows was updated and the date was removed so I got no idea when I'm being switched over so I figure 2023 is a reasonable enough guess Cheesy
So as PN are switching people to 21CN but keeping them on ADSL1 speeds (I think that's how it works) can we get the update of which accounts PN will allow to switch to ADSL2?
steve99
Dabbler

When I got the adsl2+ / 21CN email just before Christmas it did look like I was getting switched to adsl2+ but I'm still on adsl but with better connection speeds and it seem switching to adsl2+ won't make much difference due to my distance from the exchange.
My work place is only 1.5km from its exchange so I'm hoping that will be more as I use a site to site vpn between two buildings.
From the website I'm assuming to get adsl2+ we'll need to change account which I'm loath to do as it ties me to a 12month contract  Sad I'm unlikely to switch but I avoid being tied to any provider for that long, business accounts I expect it but not for private home use.
David_W
Rising Star

It's ok Steve, afaik there are no 12 month contracts any longer, just 1 month contracts (though if you take a free modem/house move/set up etc.. you have to pay if you leave within 12 months) so just changing products should only put you onto a 1 month contract.  It used to be 12 months, then got changed to 18 months and is currently 1 month.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or is he a business account, think that is still 12 month, though looking through th  PN mire who knows
steve99
Dabbler

Well the last time I looked at changing accounts then only options it gave me were for 12 month contracts.