Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DLM on 21CN ADSL1

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

New DLM on 21CN ADSL1

Can you confirm or otherwise that this will be limited to ADSL2+ and not, as I understood, to all MSAN connections. As I am on 21CN but ADSL1 (like many who have high attenuations) will I get the new system or not.
33 REPLIES 33
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Line switch: re-train required?

It's definitely just on ADSL2+ Jim Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So does that mean that all of us users who were put on ADSL1 because of high attenuation will be automatically moved to ADSL2 and if not why not
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No. I'm not sure why you'd think that. Do you want to be on ADSL2+?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not too bothered about that but I would want to get away from the "whoops you had a low sync - lets make you suffer for 3 days"
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It may be worth looking into for you then. As far as I know you are on the cusp anyway. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: New DLM on 21CN ADSL1

Split off and title changed as this has nothing to do with the original thread
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Jojo
The point that I am raising is that from October or thereabouts Plusnet will have two sets of customers on 21CN
One set who will be on the old DLM with the 3 day delay and all the annoyances that causes (21CN ADSL1)
The other set will be on the new DLM with an instantaneous uplift (21CN ADSL2)
The reason for not moving from ADSL1 to ADSL2 is that there won't be much of a speed advantage and it may introduce instability (although I am not clear as to why given that the LLU suppliers are effectively doing that already) but with the new IP profiles and better DLM on ADSL2 in actual practice they may well be a significant speed improvement as limited by the profile
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jim,
It's a fair point you raise, and I'll certainly have a word with Dave about it; particularly for those on the cusp. I'm not too sure about the LLU technology, whether they have the option of ADSL1 or not.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just to add - it appears that Andrews and Arnold moved all their customers to ADSL2 where available without the option http://aaisp.net.uk/news-adsl2.html
How are existing customers affected?
We have a lot of existing customers on existing ADSL1+ services. We are moving customers on our Max services to ADSL2+ as and when exchanges are upgraded. This will mean a brief break in service while the line is changed over. Customers should see some improvements in speed. Lower rate lines such as those below arounf 4Mb/s will not see a big increase but higher speed lines such as those now at 8Mb/s could see rates increase up to 24Mb/s.
Do I need a new router?
No! Your existing router should work. However, some older routers only support ADSL1, so will not give you any extra speed as a result of the change. If this is the case a new router will help you get more speed out of your line. We can supply suitable ADSL2+ routers if you would like to buy a new one.
We have been providing ADSL2+ routers for some time with the service. These routers become yours after you hvae had them 1 year. If you have an ADSL1 only router and want to upgrade for ADSL2+ you will need to purchase a new router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Any update on this
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
The bottom line is that the new DLM is limited to full ADSL2+ circuits only.  If you are provisioned on ADSL1 via 21cn then you would need to move to ADSL2+ to take advanatge of the DLM quantisation.
Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Oldjim
Jojo
The point that I am raising is that from October or thereabouts Plusnet will have two sets of customers on 21CN
One set who will be on the old DLM with the 3 day delay and all the annoyances that causes (21CN ADSL1)
The other set will be on the new DLM with an instantaneous uplift (21CN ADSL2)
The reason for not moving from ADSL1 to ADSL2 is that there won't be much of a speed advantage and it may introduce instability (although I am not clear as to why given that the LLU suppliers are effectively doing that already) but with the new IP profiles and better DLM on ADSL2 in actual practice they may well be a significant speed improvement as limited by the profile
Quote from: Joanne
Hi Jim,
It's a fair point you raise, and I'll certainly have a word with Dave about it; particularly for those on the cusp. I'm not too sure about the LLU technology, whether they have the option of ADSL1 or not.
Jojo Smiley
Alex
this is the question
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
All the info in your post is true.  If your question is regarding LLU equipment and how it operates then we couldn't really comment on that.
Am I missing something?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

yes - slow typing at the moment as I fell over on walk yesterday and dislocated my shoulder so I am typing one handed and the non proffered hand at that  Sad Sad
The question is whether Plusnet will change their policy of not moving users on to ADSL2+ if the expected speed is less than 4000kbps due to the significant advantages they would now get on the new DRM