cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Error?

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Network Error?

Just received the following error message, both when logging in to my bank account (Abbey/Santander) and logging out. Currently connected to gateway ptn-ag02 using FF4.0. Reloading the page succeeded on both occasions. Should I be worried? 
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Network Error?

Hi Whiffler,
When messages such as this mention 'your network' this often means your network, not necessarily your service providers notwork.
Jojo Smiley
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Thanks for the response and, yes, I am aware of the ambiguity of the message.
My main concern however, was that this only occurred in a one hour browsing session when accessing my bank account and I am particularly nervous about internet security in this respect. This nervousness has only been increased this morning when accessing my bank account by seeing this security alert!
I repeat - should I be concerned?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I think you should be ok security wise it just looks coincidence that you got disconnected while accessing your bank accounts. Did you get a pop up message asking for your details like the warning said? If no your fairly safe.
My bank uses a free bit of software called rapport I think http://www.trusteer.com/ check to see if your bank is supported, even if it's not you can still use it. Essentially what it does is you go to you login screen (can be bank or any other site you need to log in to) Save that to your list of sites, any time after that if you try and use those login details to any other website you will get a warning. It also remembers when you logged in,for how long for etc so if you get directed to a phoney site or someone else logs in to your bank account which wasn't you it will tell you.
Maybe worth a try.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's possible the error which concerned you originally is associated with FF4.0. I haven't any problems accessing the site using FF3.6 (and pcl-ag04). If it happens again, rather than reloading the page you could try a different browser (enter the URL yourself, don't copy and paste).
When you connected to that site you were probably offered rapport from trusteer. If you close this window you then see the one you posted a snip from which I believe is genuine. It's a secure page (https with the expected domain name shown in the address bar and padlock displayed).
I haven't had any pop-up windows but have received several emails informing me that bank and credit card accounts with banks I don't use, (and some I do), have been frozen often due to "suspicious activity", and please would I complete the attachment to restore access. The "from" addresses on these look very authentic, but the underlying IPs are from very dodgy places.
These are blatant phishing attempts which I've ignored and deleted the message. My accounts have *not* been frozen. In fact I suspect you would be contacted by telephone if there was unusual activity. I have had one call of that nature; I was able to satisfy myself the call was genuine and the transaction was OK, but good that the bank checked.
Hope this helps
David
David
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Thanks again to all.
I do now believe this was just a coincidence, however the advice about trusteer was very useful. Santander do have a dedicated link on their login page to download a version of their software configured for that bank and I have downloaded and installed it (even on FF4.0!) so that I now have a big green button next to my browser address bar.