cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help working out what is going on with our line!

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Need help working out what is going on with our line!

I've just taken a look at your line and can see that your 'Mean Time Between Errors' is currently at 1. This means that your line is generating errors every second, I suspect a line fault here.
Can you please complete the Broadband Fault Checker at http://faults.plus.net so that we can get that fixed for you?
aj007
Grafter

Hi there, sorry, I've been out of the country, just got back, I'll run through it now and see what happens
aj007
Grafter

So I've run through the fault checker and I'm back to using the HH2 instead of the TG582n. I can't seem to get any router stats apart from profile from the HH2 so I think you guys may have to look at that yourselves. Once again, thanks so far for the help!
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:02:58
Downstream 8,453 Kbps
Upstream 888 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.3 dB / 7.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.0 dB / 12.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 4.7 dBm
High noise margin and low output power... again...  Huh
aj007
Grafter

It was all fixed, then today....
The noise margin when reset was 6.something has now climbed to 9.something... am I still getting lots of errors? I can't see much on router stats with my HH2. Profile has dropped to 11000ish Sad
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your line was erroring so the downstream dB has increased to 9 in an attempt to reduce/prevent them.
We'll take a further look over your connection and see if we can spot anything.
aj007
Grafter

Does this point to an issue on our end somewhere?  Embarrassed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're not sure yet, but possibly - have you added anything new to the phone line at all, or changed anything recently?
aj007
Grafter

Not really, I'm using the BT HH2 instead of the 582n but that's it, had no trouble with our phones at all.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It seems to have been stable since yesterday morning, as long as that keeps up things should improve over the next couple of days - hope they do, please let us know.
aj007
Grafter

Thank you so much for the help, the tech support has been amazing! 10/10 any day of the week, cheers again  Smiley
aj007
Grafter

Well, line has been resync at higher and higher SNR's, it went from 6 to 9, now it's 12dB 😕
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, strange - what we're seeing on BTs systems is the exact opposite 😕 Profile's doing well at 10390 (that's now matched on our side at 10300) and the SNR is showing as having dropped from 15dB to 9dB. Looks like the connection is more stable too as the latest has been ongoing for over 17 hours now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Matt,I think it would be wise to get Chris to take another look at this, there is definitely a fault somewhere.
2 modem/routers giving similar results, those output powers are not right - it should be 19.9dB down and 12.5 dB up (+/- 0.1) with that line attenuation and even with a 9dB target speeds should be somewhat better than 10Mbps. With a normal target achievable speed should be of the order of 17Mbps.
@aj007
What I don't know as it's not mentioned in the thread, have you tried another filter and are you plugged into the Test socket behind the lower front plate of the Master socket? If you don't have an NTE5a with a Test socket then you may have an internal wiring fault which you cannot isolate - or perhaps something plugged in without a filter, maybe a sky box, or another filter faulty if more than one socket in use.
If another filter has been tried and the connecvtiuon is in the Test Socket, then either the NTE5a is faulty, or there's a line fault, but I have an inclining there could be an exchange fault.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, the line is still dropping and that's even been acknowledged by an online test Smiley
I'd recommend that the fault investigation is resumed, I'll pop some comments on the ticket and send it back to our team for further investigation.

EDIT: @aj007, if you could advise when you'd be available for an engineer to visit (weekdays either 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm) either here or preferably on the ticket we'll be able to get this booked in for you, looks like that's the next stage for this investigation.
aj007
Grafter

I don't have a filtered face plate unfortunately. I've tried three or four different filters as well. The only point at which anything is plugged into a phone line is the master socket, the router and wireless handset base, that's it. Been getting a few routers resets in the last few hours as well, SNR is still at 9 which isn't bad.
I think I posted a response on the fault page but any time and any day is fine, I'm on leave for the next two weeks (NHS manager pulls through for the first time ever!) so I can make myself available whenever the engineer comes.