Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My game blocked since move to plusnet?

ed
Grafter

My game blocked since move to plusnet?

I am an old Force9 2mbps Premier customer
I run my own game that uses TCP port 3999 on ip 81.174.154.100
It was working fine, but for the past 2-3 weeks no-one has been able to connect. I've even bought a new router and no luck!
Are you blocking my port to force me onto Broad Band YOUR (plusnets) Way?
If anyone wants to help me test it from outside my router the client's at http://www.kumkie.com/war
you don't need to make an account you can just use
username: demo
password: demo
two factor: demo  (1=d, 2=e, etc.)
thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: My game blocked since move to plusnet?

ed,
Can't think of any reason why that port would be blocked. It's defined in the Ellacoyas for Everquest (The Game).
Does your router have any firewall logs which might give you an idea as to whether or not the traffic's reaching your machine?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I've just scanned your IP (hope you don't mind!) and its certainly showing port 3999 up as an open TCP port.
I'd go with Bobs suggestion and have a look at your logs.
ed
Grafter

My last router did (Netgear GF834PN) and i the logs I couldn't see any connections. I've not found any log system on my new router (BT 2110) yet does it have one?
My web server works okay on port 80
My game is not Everquest, it's my own packet configuration for my own game. Would you packet shaping say "hey this is not Everquest" and kill it?
LiamM
Grafter

Have you checked that the Broadband Firewall hasn't switched on?  Should be under Connection Settings.
LiamM
Grafter

Just read MikeWhitehead's post back again - so it appears the firewall isn't stopping it.
Spider
Grafter

I host a NWN Persistent World and find that people can't direct connect or see the game in GameSpy when the connection keeps dropping and reconnecting very quickly. I was only aware of this disconnection problem because it showed in Plusnet's connections logs. I could still browse webpages, etc, but to me it was just a bit laggy. So something worth looking at in your case.
ed
Grafter

I've just read that Ellacoya deep packet inspection can't stop Bit Torrent encrypted files so it's dumping all encrypted packets  Huh
Is that what they are doing at Plus net?
Would explain why my game no longer works becuase I've been encrypting the payload to stop hackers making clone server/client/bots!
Not a good day for game security me thinks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Obvious question but does it work with encryption off. AFAIK we don't outright block anything if you're within your usage thresholds and have the server side firewall and surf options disabled via the Member Centre.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ed
Grafter

Wow! Game started working again today!
I don't know if someone changed a setting at the plusnet end but BIG THANK YOU if you did  Grin
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I don't think we changed anything?  Let us know ASAP if you see a problem again and we'll get right on it.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager