cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderator Elections

zubel
Community Veteran

Moderator Elections

Following the Penguin's departure from the moderator ranks, it is now time to run a new set of moderator elections. Our numbers have dwindled and we're looking for some new blood to lend a helping hand as required.
As moderators our role is to help keep things on topic (although we're only human, we go off topic as much as anybody), make sure that somebody doesn't post something you wouldn't want the kids to see, and generally help folks out with formatting tags and the like, so posts are easily readable. We are also responsible for enforcing the link:rules where needed.
Our time is given on a voluntary basis and we don't receive any preferential treatment from PlusNet, although we can often communicate directly with Plusnet staff if required.
We are looking to fill 2 places from this election so would like to see at least 4 candidates.

STEP 1 
If you are interested in volunteering as a moderator please PM one of the existing moderators (Assos,  Chemical Brother,  Barry Zubel or OldJim) with a short text (no more than 8 lines) explaining why you think that you  would make a good forum moderator. This text will be used as part of the public voting thread. This PM must be received by the existing moderators before Midnight, Sunday 1st Feb.
The moderators will then assess that the candidates fit into the following criteria -
1. Must have been a customer of one of the PlusNet brands (PlusNet, FORCE9, Free-Online, Metronet or MAAF) for at least 6 months and currently be using a paid account from one of these brands.
2. Must be a regular poster on the forums. (There is no minimum post requirement, as we expect regular contributors to be most likely to be candidates.)
3.Can not have been banned or warned for forum conduct in the last three months.
4. And review the candidates previous posts to assess their suitability as moderators.
If the candidate does not fit within this criteria the moderators will inform them by PM.
STEP 3 
The moderators will post a list of the candidates, and enter it into a forum post. The community will be given 10 days to vote for their preferred candidate.
STEP 4 
After the vote is complete, the moderators will assess the voting process to ensure it was conducted in a fair manner. If there is any evidence of unfairness then the election will be declared null and void with the whole process having to be re-run.
If all is above board, they will contact the winner(s) asking if they intend to take the role. Once this is confirmed it will be announced to the community as a whole.
The new moderators will serve an initial probation period of 3 months.
If you want any more information about the role of a Moderator, then feel free to PM any of the existing team who will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Barry
125 REPLIES 125
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Moderator Elections

from my experience it isn't that difficult after the initial learning curve and most people are quite forgiving when you make a faux pas.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Hey guys,
We've only had ONE nomination so far..  Huh
If you think you can contribute by being a forum moderator and have a desire to help the moderation team, then please feel free to PM any of the moderators..
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I would have expected at least 2 unless one of the previous candidates isn't reading the forum. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Chemical
We've only had ONE nomination so far..  Huh

Perhaps moderator nomination requests are one of those rare occasions that warrant a email/PM to all forum participants (even if only as a pointer to this thread) to ensure all users see such posts?
In fact, does SMF give any feedback on how many people browse all unread posts, rather than just dipping into specific forums?
Mike
techguy
Grafter

I shall stand in one if its held toward the end of the year.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

No you won't as you'll be too busy studying to be a regular contributor  Tongue Kiss
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Strat
I would have expected at least 2 unless one of the previous candidates isn't reading the forum. Smiley

Who were the candidates last time?
If I remember right last time many members didn't know there was an election.  Why not send an em to all members?  The more involvement the more chance of getting nominations.
techguy
Grafter

@adiewoo will have finished by the end of the year.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Who were the candidates last time?

These
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I don't think I will be able to send a mass PM or newsletter from the forum out.. from advice given (although not the definitive answer) it looks like a few of you guys might get uppety about "unsolicited" mail as it's sent from the forum, and not their marketing system.
I will make some further enquiries, but it looks like it will have to go via the Plus newsletter, for which only goes to those who have agreed to recieve marketing/info emails from Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran

Life's a female dog Roll_eyes
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Chemical
it looks like a few of you guys might get uppety about "unsolicited" mail as it's sent from the forum, and not their marketing system.

Hmmm... Wink
Some thoughts:-
Any chance then of updating the Forum T&Cs in anticipation of such events so that global PM/emails are permitted in certain specific instances and people are (OK, should be..!) aware in advance that it will happen? It's not as if it's going to be a frequent occurrence, and da Mods should be capable of policing themselves Cool This sort of thing works well in other on-line conferencing systems. As Plusnet get a fair bit of user feedback via the forums I'd have thought they might have an interest in setting something up.
Having had a look at the last moderator election the turnout was pretty dire so perhaps there should be something put in place that can be used to raise the profile?
Mike
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

We should all put a link to this post in our sigs then, no one can miss that..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MrC
Grafter

Good idea - howsabout in the largest possible font in dayglo pink to really grab people's attention? Or even inserting a link to a voice recording of "Your forums need you", or something......
Just joking...:)
Mike