cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBOURC declared by BT for Scotland, spectacularly slow bandwidth now...

Trull

MBOURC declared by BT for Scotland, spectacularly slow bandwidth now...

Hello
I'm interested to know of any other Scottish users that are getting very slow bandwidth? Is there any further information on when BT will replace their faulty infrastructure and do the job properly?
I find it deeply concerning that BT can slow down an entire country, and not have resilience to cope.
I'm on the full fat Pro package, and have previously been used to speeds of 7Meg, ie full line speed, and speedtests confirming in the 5-7meg ballpark.
I've completed many tests at speedtest.bt.com - and been redirected to tap3 when I've hit 400kbps many times over the past few days. At times I'd be quicker on a v.90 modem!
For now router stats are:
Plus Line Speed 6000kbps
Downstream 7360kbps, noise margin 9.1db, line attenuation 26.0db
Upstream 448kbps, noise margin 23.0db, line attenuation 15.0db
I've tried connecting the Netgear DGN2000 router to the test socket at the master, and the figures show a marginal improvement.
Many other broadband users in my village report the same problem.

5 REPLIES 5
Trull

Re: MBOURC declared by BT for Scotland, spectacularly slow bandwidth now...

Anyone like to comment on very slow download speeds in Scotland? Or anywhere else? looks like I'm not alone with this speed problem.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Trull,
An MBORC is generally for when severe weather impedes BTs ability to maintain their network, engineers etc. It will not be with regard to speed. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
The VP at your exchange is showing as green, so I would consider looking here for some tips or raising a fault if they don't help.
Jojo Smiley
Trull

Hi Jojo
Thanks for explaining about the MBORC.
My speedtester.bt.com results are currently (1.12pm today):
Download 623Kbps (!)
DSL Connection rate 8128Kbps (Down) 448 (Up)
IP Profile for your line is 6000Kbps
Until the second week in December I could rely on a Download speed of >5000kbps - which I was happy with.
I use a wired cable, although wireless connections to other computers have the same results. Either connected to the master test socket or normal wiring.
I've raised a fault and hope it will be fixed shortly.
Trull
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that Trull, we'll get onto it and update you as soon as we can.
Trull

Just for the benefit for anyone reading this forum... plusnet have contacted me via the faults.plus.net fault report, and we've been trying to get this fixed. An engineer has been summoned and will hopefully turn up shortly.
There seems to be a pattern of reasonable (although still degraded performance compared with before December 9th) performance until lunchtime then it all goes bad and I'm left with a 600Kbps connection.
Here's hoping!