cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low attenuation but high SNR, can speed be improved?

lexusuk
Grafter

Re: Low attenuation but high SNR, can speed be improved?

Done.
Should be live in the next couple of hours.  Any issues let us know.
Mathias
Grafter

Cheers Alex, will check tonight.
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Alex,
Checked last night and the upload speed has increased, so thanks for sorting this. It unfortunately only achieves upload speeds of ~750kbps, whereas previously would achieve closer to 1mbps. Download speed though continues to increase and on speedtest, i now get over 11mbps.
Unfortunately wasn't able to get a reliable btspeedtester one last night, will try again tonight.
Also i noticed my ping times have increased since reducing the SNR. They have gone from ~20ms to ~40ms. Having done tests at pingtest, there appears to be packet loss of 1-2%, the site recommends investigating any loss higher than 0% as this will impact online gaming, i wanted to improve my experience for gaming, which i why i persude this. Do you know what may be causing this?
Are the two things (higer ping, lower upload) likely to be related. If so do you know what can be done to fix this? Would turning off interleaving improve things, i think i had it turned on previously though?
Cheers.
lexusuk
Grafter

It is because interleaving has been enabled.  This restricts your maximum upload sync rate to 888kbps and will cause the higher ping times seen.  Previously this had been off.
If you would like us to remove interleaving then please let us know.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Interleaving will decrease your ping times by about 10-20 ms. It can cause instability though. My advice would be to give it a go and if it causes instability you can have interleaving put back on.
The changes usually take 24 hours to take effect.
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Alex,
Please go ahead and turn interleaving off as i would appreciate the higher upload and lower ping.
Cheers.
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Alex,
How long does the interleaving off request take as i'm keen to get some improved black ops playing done tonight?, if you can get it done that fast.
Thanks for your help so far, all has been going great thanks to you.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Mathias,
I'm sorry but i've been waiting all afternoon to get through to the department that can adjust your line.  Unfortunately it looks like it's not going to be possible before 5:30.  I will contact the team first thing tomorrow morning and have the line adjusted for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Just as I finished typing this post the team responded! Cheesy
The profile change has been requested and you should see this live within the next few hours. Wink
Mathias
Grafter

Cool, cheers for sorting this out Alex, you're the best
Mathias
Grafter

Here is my new speed test results:

Looks great, will upload a btspeedtester one later on.
EDIT: Here is test from plusnet speedtester:

EDIT2: Get some very strange results from btspeedtester though on the download speed, had results of 3mbps and 5mbps, could this be due to the line training, or is this the stability issues you mentioned? I assumed stability affected whether the line disconnects rather than speed fluctuations, which i would term more as volatility.
lexusuk
Grafter

I wouldn't worry too much about the BT speed test results if you are seeing 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up consistently from other testers.  The other results posted all look fine and are where we'd expect your speed to be.
Mathias
Grafter

Ok, thanks for sorting this out for me Alex. Will keep an eye on it and let you know if anything changes.
Had a great night on black ops last night btw, k/d always above 1. My best was 17 kills to 3 deaths. I put it down to the connection as i normally don't get those type of results.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Nice. If you see me or Chris about on any of the servers (yerbro and leviaxxan respectively) say hi Cheesy
Oh, and... duck Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Mathias
My best was 17 kills to 3 deaths...

Mine is usually the other way round Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine